This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen blanking the coming back wrong

I've been experiencing screen blanking then coming back on but then there are lines and screen portions splashing on screen from other areas. Started 2 nvidia driver updates ago but it's much worse with the latest update a few days ago. Anyone else having this problem? Very annoying and requires a restart but has been doing this 3 or 4 times a day.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Are you currently running the nVidia binary version 295.40? Turns out that, although that release was supposed to fix a security vulnerability, it's introduced a number of regressions.

Somewhat unrelated, but for a while (like a month ago) the Intel driver was causing similar weird screen blanking. I could make the problem go away by momentarily unplugging my laptop's AC adapter, thus avoiding a reboot. Perhaps that'll work for you?

Comment

Yes, Steve it is version 295.40. You know, now that you mention the unplug adapter thing. The battery icon on the task bar has been acting strange as well since the previous nvidia driver update. It's been displaying that the battery is discharged at lets say 97% then 40% a few minutes later and on a restart it's at 99%. I booted up windows and it says the battery is 100% and functioning normally. Now I wonder if these two problems are related. Maybe power management? I'll try the unplug adapter next time it blanks out.
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram

Comment

Well, unplugging my power supply didn't help. Maybe it will go away with 12.04. Who knows
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram

Comment

Working...
        X