Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible fonts ONLY in LibreOffice (large screenshot)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Terrible fonts ONLY in LibreOffice (large screenshot)

I have a system with Kubuntu 11.10. I just upgared LibreOffice from its PPA to v3.5 to get rid of an annoying bug where tool tips were unreadable.
    This is what it looks like now. You'll notice that both the menus and the edited text look horrible. No settings were changed. Before the upgrade the menus looked the same, but the text was fine. How can I fix this?

With LO not running, try K > System Settings > Application Appearance > GTK+ Applications and change Widget style to Raleigh and click Apply. Launch LO. Close LO. Then change the Widget style back to oxygen-gtk and click Apply. Relaunch LO. Any change?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You could also try renaming ~/.config/libreoffice to something like ~/.config/libreofficeOLD (with LO closed) and then starting it up this will generate a new, clean ~/.config/libreoffice which can often fix a variety of problems.

Comment

Thank you both for your suggestions. Unfortunately, neither of these made any difference.

Comment

Try this: Go to System Settings>Application Appearance>Fonts. At the bottom it says "Use anti-aliasing" - click and set it to "Enabled" - then click "Configure" and set that to "Slight".
          That fixes it for me - now it's one of the first things I do when I do a fresh install of Kubuntu. It's worked for me on my Dell desktop and on a Toshiba netbook. It even worked on an OpenSuse install I did on an old Dell laptop for my brother. It had the same problem after install so it's a KDE thing, not just Kubuntu. I'm not sure why it's not default on KDE but anyway, give it a try, then restart LibreOffice. It will also give you smoother fonts in Firefox.

Comment

Thank you, this worked perfectly. Everything looks great now.
            I do think think the resetting from the previous suggestions may have helped, because I did try playing around with this before. If any one has similar issues, I suggest trying all of the above (I did revert to the old .config/libreoffice). I also don't use sub-pixel hinting, so maybe turn that on and off.
            Last edited by id5.1; Apr 16, 2012, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X