This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

change when /tmp is cleaned

I'm using Kubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. Every time I boot, the /tmp directory is cleaned. Is there a way to set that to every x days or every y boots? I looked for tmpwatch in the cron directories but it doesn't appear to be there.

Thanks in advance.

Did you happen to move your /tmp to a temporary file system (in /etc/fstab)? That is a common tweak, but the downside is that since a temporary files system is only stored in RAM, as soon as you shutdown or reboot, it is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by strycat View Post
      I'm using Kubuntu 11.10 on my laptop. Every time I boot, the /tmp directory is cleaned. Is there a way to set that to every x days or every y boots? I looked for tmpwatch in the cron directories but it doesn't appear to be there.
      You can change the TMPTIME value in /etc/default/rcS
      The default is "0", clear everything on every boot. A positive value like "7" will not clear files that are newer than seven days (this of course applies only if you have /tmp on disk rather than in ram).

If you want to save temp data across boots, it's often better to use /var/tmp instead of /tmp.

Comment

Working...
      X