This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rms View Post
    Does blanking occur in the same session even if you issue xset -dpms command in konsole? Can you run a movie in your favourite player without blanking after that?
    That prevents the monitor from turning off automatically, but the screen still blacks out after ten minutes.

Comment

OK, how about this one?

xset s noblank -dpms

Edit: It could have something to do with activities settings if you have more than one. So, try setting power management for each one in the same way although I see no difference when I add one myself. Except for the odd messages that power management is working with limited functionality due to something not being properly installed etc.
      Last edited by rms; Mar 22, 2012, 10:50 AM. Reason: Addition to the post
      Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Finally! I have caught one bandolero that turns DMPS on beyond any doubt. It is... Muon Package Manager...

Comment

There are two problems here, not sure if they are related.

1. DMPS turns on and off as it pleases
          2. Power management is completely, 100% gone

The DMPS problem is annoying, but its easy to deal with. The power management thing is driving me crazy. Im going to be doing a fresh install soon as that seems to be the only fix for this....

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            The DMPS problem is annoying, but its easy to deal with. The power management thing is driving me crazy. Im going to be doing a fresh install soon as that seems to be the only fix for this....
            Sorry to hear that. Sh*t happens...

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
              Sorry to hear that. Sh*t happens...
              Yeah...I just wish I knew why it happened and how to fix it. This is the first Linux problem I havent been able to fix in a very long time

Comment

not sure if this is connected, but I thought my power saving setting was also doing that, I set it to 120mins and my screen still went to black in 10 mins, the problem was the screensaver was set to blank the screen in 10 mins. So if you haven't check that maybe set the screen saver to 60 mins and see. worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblecruntz View Post
                  not sure if this is connected, but I thought my power saving setting was also doing that, I set it to 120mins and my screen still went to black in 10 mins, the problem was the screensaver was set to blank the screen in 10 mins. So if you haven't check that maybe set the screen saver to 60 mins and see. worked for me.
                  I dont have a screensaver program. Also, if I set the power management to turn off the screen in one minute, it still turns it off in ten. No matter what I do, it turns off in ten minutes.

Comment

Read the entire thread, and I don't see where you have told us what the monitor/display unit is. Is it an external monitor, or are we talking about a laptop display? If the former, what brand/model? Some monitors have their own power management 'built in'.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Reboot and from the grub menu chose "Memtest86+". Let it run to 100% and see if your RAM is OK.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Read the entire thread, and I don't see where you have told us what the monitor/display unit is. Is it an external monitor, or are we talking about a laptop display? If the former, what brand/model? Some monitors have their own power management 'built in'.
                        Dont think its a monitor problem as power management worked fine before and still works fine in a new profile.
                        Monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster B2230.

GreyGeek: Ill try your suggestion over the weekend when I have more time, but dont think its a RAM problem...

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
                          Dont think its a monitor problem as power management worked fine before and still works fine in a new profile.
                          Monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster B2230.
                          That it works fine in a new profile is telling. It indicates that there is a configuration 'problem' within you existing user profile. You can open a console and rename your .kde directory (say, to .kdeold) and then logout/reboot. When you log back in, the .kde directory will be recreated. It won't have any of your customization's, but you can then copy from .kdeold into the new .kde, those directories/files one at a time, with a logout/login to see which one causes the problem to re-appear. A slow process, but...

Another thought. What is in /tmp/kde-yourusername?
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            That it works fine in a new profile is telling. It indicates that there is a configuration 'problem' within you existing user profile. You can open a console and rename your .kde directory (say, to .kdeold) and then logout/reboot. When you log back in, the .kde directory will be recreated. It won't have any of your customization's, but you can then copy from .kdeold into the new .kde, those directories/files one at a time, with a logout/login to see which one causes the problem to re-appear. A slow process, but...

Another thought. What is in /tmp/kde-yourusername?
                            What is more interesting is that a new user profile works fine until I log out and log in again. Then it is broken, just like in my main profile. So I really dont know whats going on.

Ill get back to you on /tmp/kde-username..

Comment

Working...
                            X