Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to compile Windows programs to run in Linux?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible to compile Windows programs to run in Linux?

Hello.

I wish to use notepad++. It is an open source program for MS Windows, licensed under GPL. I guess that I am not doing anything illegal, by taking a look at the source code available from the official site.

Is it possible to compile the source code "as is", so that the program will run under Linux? Or do I have to edit a whole lot of things to make it work?

I believe that can run in wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2983

Comment

you should use kate its so much better!

if you really have to compile it you might have to rework some of the code since its most likley needs some windows stuffs. or you can just run it in wine. but then again kate is way better then notepad ++ could ever be...
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by |_aban View Post
        Hello.

I wish to use notepad++. It is an open source program for MS Windows, licensed under GPL. I guess that I am not doing anything illegal, by taking a look at the source code available from the official site.
        You would NOT be doing anything illegal to compile a GPL'd source, written on a Windows box, on a Linux box. But ....

Is it possible to compile the source code "as is", so that the program will run under Linux? Or do I have to edit a whole lot of things to make it work?
        Therein lies the rub. IF the source doesn't call proprietary dll's (dynamic linked libraries), but uses its own, then it may be possible to compile it under Linux. Better yet, if the source was written using only the Qt library then it will be an EASY compile under Linux.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

This is 'old' - 2009 - but, it is a site offering a "simple python script which install Notepad++ on Debian/Ubuntu (or any other distro that uses apt-get.)"

npp-installer
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Delphi had some versions 6+ where you could convert their 32bit windows code and compile under Kylix (proprietary designer and compiler). Though my recollection of how this worked may be flawed.
            Andy R.
            Kubuntu 12.10

Comment

Originally posted by Unhinged View Post
              Delphi had some versions 6+ where you could convert their 32bit windows code and compile under Kylix (proprietary designer and compiler). Though my recollection of how this worked may be flawed.
              I loved Pascal. I purchased Kylix 1.0 from Borland in March of 2001 with plans to use it as a GUI RAD Dev tool which would allow me to use the same source on both Linux and Windows to create front ends to database backends for my apps at work. Unfortunately, the database driver had a flaw which prevented the UI from actually establishing a stable db connection. I and many others documented the problem on Borland's UseNet, but Borland refused to admit there was a problem, anticipating, I presume, to fix it with the next version to be released in September. I had a job to do and couldn't wait, so I stayed with Visual FoxPro, killing my dream to write code under Linux and even move Windows based apps to Linux at work. I tried HTML and later Boa-Constructor (Python & Zope), but the tools to convert the Boa app to a Windows executable got out of sync with the components of Boa. Java based tools where just too ... clumsy. Three years later Qt enabled that dream.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X