This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blank screen

please help, after update kde and nvidia driver my screen become blank, when from recovery i try to start x it say screen not found, i disinstall nvidia driver and delete my old .kde dir from home but still cannot startx always said screen not found please help what i must to do?

I can confirm this problem. Something in this morning's update (2/28) has outright killed video. I can boot in single mode, but any attempt to start x kills the entire video display. REIUSB still works to kill the system, but can't escape from X to a text display.
    I also notice there appears to be a similar video problem on Precise. I don't have time to mess with it this morning; I am sending from Aptosid (which has the nouveau driver) so it might be a driver problem.
    Whatever this is, it's serious. Be careful of updating until this is resolved.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Partial solution:

I removed nvidia-current and installed the proprietary nvidia driver from their website:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

seems to be working so far. Must have been the libc6 update that hosed the driver.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Make sure kubuntu-desktop is still installed, blank desktop on login is often caused by missing packages provided by kubuntu-desktop (ie the kde desktop :P )

Comment

Working...
        X