This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDM update

I've just completed a daily update during which KDM was updated. The kdmrc file has changed and the only significant diffrence I can see is on the ServerArgsLocal line. My file currently reads "ServerArgsLocal=-nr -nolisten tcp". The new file replaces the -nr with -br. What is the diffrence, and is it important?

If you previously made no changes to the kdmrc file, then the 'replacement' file should present no problems for you. Since this recent update, have you logged out and rebooted? If 'yes', did you notice anything different -- did your system boot normally and the KDM Greeter and Desktop appear and run 'as expected?'. If yes to all, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

These are parameters passed to the X server. I've found various references (sample) to -nr being a synonym for -background none, which apparently is a temporary workaround until all display managers support the -background option. It would appear that -nr is now removed, as
      Code:
      man xserver
      no longer shows it. -br sets the root window to solid black -- which is the default anyway.

Comment

Haven't logged out/back in or rebooted yet. I was wanteding to get an answer to this questiong first.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          These are parameters passed to the X server. I've found various references (sample) to -nr being a synonym for -background none, which apparently is a temporary workaround until all display managers support the -background option. It would appear that -nr is now removed, as
          Code:
          man xserver
          no longer shows it. -br sets the root window to solid black -- which is the default anyway.
          Thanks Steve. I couldn't find any reference to -nr, so wasn't sure what it was doing or where it was doing it (within kde or X) so was really just wanting verification that it was nothing too serious. The only changes I've made to kdmrc other than this that was being changed was my default user loggin section. This is my media player, so I have it log in automaticly on boot.

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            It would appear that -nr is now removed, as
            Code:
            man xserver
            no longer shows it.
            Interesting, as my kdmrc file still reflects the use of -nr, but then, I think I've modified the file, and so, always 'keep' it when a replacement comes down the pike. Having the -nr doesn't affect my X server in any way I'm aware of.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, when I saw the new file come with the updates yesterday, I allowed apt-get to replace the existing kwinrc. Haven't noticed any change in behavior.

Comment

Working...
              X