This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring CPU Temperature?

I've installed Psensor and LM-sensors - but Psensors only gives me one temp, not all the awesome stuff they show in their screen cap - Link I get "temp 1," which is way below what the bios says is the cpu temp.

What can I do to get the temps I need for overclocking?

Did you run
    Code:
    sudo sensors-detect
    after installing lm-sensors and allow it to configure the appropriate modules? Also, note that not all computers include the necessary hardware for reporting everything you see in that sample illustration.

What output do you see if you run the command-line utility
    Code:
    sensors

Comment

Hmm, maybe it doesn't have all those sensors then.

The conclusion of running "sensors-detect" is -

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
      Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `it87':
      * ISA bus, address 0x228
      Chip `ITE IT8720F Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)
      And the outcome of sensors is -

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
      Adapter: PCI adapter
      power1: 117.47 W (crit = 124.95 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
      Adapter: PCI adapter
      temp1: +26.0°C (high = +70.0°C)
      (crit = +90.0°C, hyst = +87.0°C)
      It doesn't look like I'm going to get much information. What is being measured here, anyway? Temp in the case? The bios usually shows cpu temp in the mid 50's. Kinda worrisome since it can't go over 61c.

Comment

It's difficult to predict what kinds of sensors individual machines incorporate. What kind of hardware are you running? If it's Intel-based, I'm surprised that coretemp isn't in the list.

Comment

AMD 8-core FX-8120 3.1g 16M R

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ R motherboard

16 gigs GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR

Radeon HD6870

Comment

Ah, OK...alas, I've no experience with anything from AMD. Perhaps someone else here on KFN can chime in with their experiences using lm-sensors on such equipment.

Comment

You still helped out. Maybe I can get help @overclock.net.

Comment

You might look at some older conky threads also, namely the main thread at ubuntuforums. Many a conky user has been down this path once or twice before.
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

According to Gigabytes site, you do have CPU temp detection. If the bios can read CPU temp then you have a sensor. Does the software that came with your MB work under Windows? I used Gigabyte boards for years and never had one that did not have sensors for the CPU. Perhaps there is some software you have to install for a Gigabyte MB like I do with my Dell (i8k). that may not have Linux support yet. That is a nice MB you got there. I will say that Gigabyte MB don't usually play well with Linux. Gigabyte builds them to work with Windows. I really don't see that changing in the near future.

I use GKrellm to monitor and adjust my fan temps. It may work for you. Here is a link to explain how GKrellm works............

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/...l-with-gkrellm
                  Last edited by eddieg538; Feb 23, 2012, 08:27 PM.
                  Alienware 17 R2
                  ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
                  ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                  Nvidia Graphics
                  16 Ram
                  Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Well I can't guess what happened but all the sudden I have four fan temp entries (only one is working, which I think is right for the way I have my fans plugged in) and four temp entries.

O.K., great - what are these "temp" entries telling me?

Comment

That is strange. I'm guessing you have the sensors but they are not being detected correctly. Is there a bios update to your MB? If there is, this may help your problem but read carefully how to do it. Gigabyte MB use a Windows installer for bios updates. Can you boot into Windows?
                      Alienware 17 R2
                      ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
                      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                      Nvidia Graphics
                      16 Ram
                      Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Nope, no Windows here.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                          According to Gigabytes site, you do have CPU temp detection. If the bios can read CPU temp then you have a sensor. Does the software that came with your MB work under Windows? I used Gigabyte boards for years and never had one that did not have sensors for the CPU. Perhaps there is some software you have to install for a Gigabyte MB like I do with my Dell (i8k). that may not have Linux support yet. That is a nice MB you got there. I will say that Gigabyte MB don't usually play well with Linux. Gigabyte builds them to work with Windows. I really don't see that changing in the near future.

I use GKrellm to monitor and adjust my fan temps. It may work for you. Here is a link to explain how GKrellm works............

https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/...l-with-gkrellm
                          Gkrellim is a nifty little program! It shows a bunch of additional info Psensors doesn't, which will be very useful. I think I've got what I need between the two.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X