X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot failure

Hello,

Having just said, in another thread, that I get virtually no problems on the very next boot I got this:

Boot from CD
    GRUB LOADING.
    Error: file not found.
    Entering rescue mode . . .
    grub rescue> _

Sooo I am now booting from my rescue disc as I have not fathoned out 'grub rescue' commands yet!

So any offers on this?

Background info: I have not changed anything recently and the grub file is (I think) up to date with 3.0.15 and 3.0.16 options along with the usual menu items.

Thanks.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

I'm not conversant in grub rescue commands either - but my first instinct would be to reinstall grub from a Kubuntu Live CD. See File Not Found (Error 15) and, on the same page, the sudo grub-install --boot-directory=... method at Grub2 - Community Ubuntu Documentation.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

If you have more than one disk on your computer it may be a simple as your computer is trying to boot to the wrong disk. Select the other disk as the primary boot disk at start up and see if it finds grub then.

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

Got it sorted with boot-repair after trying one or two other things.

Natty little programme. One of those that should be loaded by default perhaps?
        Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 20, 2012, 12:26 PM. Reason: Established hyperlink
        Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
        GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
        Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

Working...
        X