This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Packages being kept back

I have just tried to upgrade some of the packages for 11.10 and the following message appeared.

The following packages have been kept back:
    libqtxdg0 librazorqt0 linux-generic linux-headers-generic
    linux-image-generic razorqt
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
    david@xubuntu:~$

Does this mean there is a problem with the signatures of these packages?

It's likely that those upgrades wish to install new packages (or remove installed packages) due to changed dependencies. For example, 'linux-image-generic' package probably depends on a new kernel image package.

Such upgrades will be held back if you do a 'apt-get upgrade' (which will only upgrade packages that can be upgraded without installing new packages or removing currently installed packages). To upgrade held back packages, you need to do 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.
    Last edited by kubicle; Feb 18, 2012, 07:53 AM.

Comment

No, I saw most of the Razor stuff being deleted from my computer and imagine there is momentarily a dependency conflict not allowing them to be installed.
      Usually these things sort themselves after 1 or 2 days but as I see Razor does not have a very active development it might last a bit longer.
      The header problem is not likely connected to the Razor problem.

Comment

Teunis@

You know the difference between using 'upgrade' versus 'dist-upgrade', yes? Not implying you don't of course, but we often find users using 'upgrade' instead of 'dist-upgrade'.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes thanks for the important reminder but I always use dist-upgrade.

Comment

Lately I've begun first running a simulation before doing an upgrade or dist-upgrade. Handy to see the full effects of what might happen beforehand.

Code:
            apt-get -s dist-upgrade | less
            -s runs in simulation mode (sudo isn't necessary here); piping the output through less displays the output one page at a time.

Comment

Thanks for replies as mentioned above I'll leave upgrade for a few days to see if dependencies are sorted out. As I don't use internet everyday I won't be online until mid-week so I'll try it then. If still doesn't work I might download source and compile the old fashioned way.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                I won't be online until mid-week so...
                How in the world do you handle the withdrawal symptoms!:eek: ( If I am not able to get online daily, I begin to get edgy! )
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  I begin to get edgy! )
                  Edgy? Dude, that's like 10 versions ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    How in the world do you handle the withdrawal symptoms!:eek: ( If I am not able to get online daily, I begin to get edgy! )
                    When I'm not online I do miss it but then when I go online I don't really do much. Most of the time I just visit forums like this one or check for updates or download new software to try. When I'm offline I cannot wait to get online and when I'm online I get bored doing the same things all the time. I cannot win!

Which is why I only pay for internet access as and when I use it and not pay monthly fees. Another reason why I only have a mobile broadband dongle and not the full broadband device connected to the phone line 24/7.

Comment

This morning after an update/ dist-upgrade I was able to reinstall the Razor-qt stuff and it works fine.
                      The first time I ran it I did not pay too much attention to the package names but to me it looks like there have been some changes when going from version 0.4.0 to now version 0.4.1

Comment

Working...
                      X