This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I just tried to uninstall gcc4.6...holy crap

I need to get CUDA working on my box, everything was great, but it just informed me that gcc versions past 4.6 are not supported.

Thats cool I say, I'll just uninstall gcc4.6 and install an earlier version. they're right there in the repository.

So I select the four or five things that have gcc4.6 in the name, and hit uninstall then Apply...

The next thing I know, muon is uninstalling MOST OF MY INSTALLATION...KDE and everything

seriously wtf

I killed it when I saw it uninstall kmail...lmfao

I have a chrome window open, but i tried to open another window and i got an error, so when I close this i think i'll find my system is hosed.

Can someone tell me how to undo the last few things that muon did?? I have a terminal window open as well, so a command line command would work.

And can someone tell me how it's okay to start uninstalling everything without so much as a warning

http://www.dickscheid.net/2011/10/19-cuda-ubuntu-1110/
    You can switch gcc versions, but if you want to compile other things, just use the proper step to switch back to 4.6.

to get kde back,:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    should do it.

Muon does tell you at the bottom how many things are being upgraded/removed/installed, and there is a preview button.
    This is an unfortunate side effect of having full control over one's system. I don't know if the muon creator has any plans to add a popup thing to his program.

Comment

nope, by the time i caught it, it had already uninstalled apt-get, as well as a hell of a lot of other things, includeing rsync and cp. I went back and looked at the log file and in the 30 seconds or so that it ran, it had uninstalled hundreds (thousands?) of packages. If it had anything at the bottom regarding how many packages it was going to install, I sure didn't see it.

I managed to back up most of my data. Now I'm starting from scratch.

And that's cool if muon doesn't want to add a popup or some other warning. After this, and after it crashed halfway through a large update, it'll be a looong time before I ever use it again. It's not ready for prime time - which is cool. Software doesn't get written overnight. But whoever decided to add it in as the default package manager for kubuntu at this point needs to sit down in a quiet place and reconsider their decision.

Comment

Originally posted by jwebster8 View Post
        nope, by the time i caught it, it had already uninstalled apt-get, as well as a hell of a lot of other things, includeing rsync and cp. I went back and looked at the log file and in the 30 seconds or so that it ran, it had uninstalled hundreds (thousands?) of packages. If it had anything at the bottom regarding how many packages it was going to install, I sure didn't see it.

I managed to back up most of my data. Now I'm starting from scratch.

And that's cool if muon doesn't want to add a popup or some other warning. After this, and after it crashed halfway through a large update, it'll be a looong time before I ever use it again. It's not ready for prime time - which is cool. Software doesn't get written overnight. But whoever decided to add it in as the default package manager for kubuntu at this point needs to sit down in a quiet place and reconsider their decision.
        I couldn't agree more.

Please Read Me

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	639835

damn that is too small to see well

Comment

Originally posted by oshunlulvr View Post
            I couldn't agree more.
            ask him to add one, he does listen

We did make the decision, it was and is miles better than kpackagekit. I am not defending a crash, mind you, but imnsho it was the right move.

Comment

Okay, so maybe I was tired when I did it and just didn't see it. Or maybe I'm just used to synaptic's popping up a window making sure you see what you're about to do. (I still think there should be a confirmation dialog somewhere, but maybe it'd be too difficult to implement in a useful way, I dunno.)

And maybe I was irritable from spending all day recovering a system that for whatever reason shouldn't have needed to be recovered. Either way, I apologize if I was too harsh on muon. My system is back up now and no significant harm done at this point.

And thanks for the link on getting gcc4.4 going. That should help me a lot. If you were here I'd buy you a beer.

Cheers man

Comment

I'd be p-o'd too, no doubt! But do not be afraid to file a bug (wishlist perhaps?) on bugs.kde.org for it.

I was a little frustrated myself tonight, been fighting since Christmas getting my arm board's Ubuntu to play 1080p video as it is supposed to be able to do, to discover just tonight that the screen blanking on any large video window was my silly new monitor's fault all along!!. Once I changed u-boot to have the imx53's hdmi output use 720p output, I suddenly became a happy man!!!

Comment

Out of interest - what is wrong with 'Synaptic'?

I have learnt over the years not to use any new stuff until all the bugs have been squashed and that includes Kpackagekit and Muon. It seems to me that waiting a reasonable time after any new app. or upgrade etc is applied before taking the plunge would remove about two thirds of the posts we see on here! Hope I am not appearing critical - and I know stuff needs to be 'tested' even after a so-called 'stable-release' - but I get virtually no issues by following this approach.

Something to think about mmmm?

Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
                  GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
                  Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Comment

There's nothing 'wrong' with synaptic and anyone can install it in KDE.
                    But it's not a QT application so for some it might pull in more dependencies than wanted.
                    Until Muon came around I was partial to adept.

For me Muon works 99% of the time, when it doesn't I use apt-get to get myself deeper into problems .

Comment

I use Synaptic myself, installing it with the --no-install-recommends option will keep the gtk dependencies to a minimum (as this will not install recommended dependencies, which are a bit gnome/gtk heavy).

However, synaptic is not officially supported (or installed by default) even in gnome/ubuntu anymore, it's been demoted to universe in precise (the software center has taken it's place in main), so it's good to have/develop/test options like muon.
                      Last edited by kubicle; Feb 18, 2012, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X