X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of parallel user session

Hello,

all our family member use one computer. Usually, they don't logout after they have their work done. If the next comes and the screen is locked, he uses "Switch User" to open a new user session.

We are 5 persons, but unfortunately KDE allows only 4 parallel sessions by default. Where can I change this? Is it a config of KDE (kdm) or of the underlying X11 system?

Best regards,
    Ralf.

You could play with Kshutdown, it can be set up to log off a user after a predefined period of inactivity.

Comment

Yes of course, but that's not what I asked for. I could also login via SSH an kill a single user session.

What I want to know is: Where can I configure the number of parallel user sessions.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc you might try adding to this line:

ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3

Try adding 4 and 5 and see if it works.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, it works!

Thank you very much.

Comment

That's a truly obscure solution, I had also been looking at this limitation and never found the answer, thanks!

Comment

You can recover a little of the memory by reducing the number if TTY's in the same location if you wish. I rarely use more than two anyway.

Also - you can pre-load additional desktops by adding StaticServers instead of ReserveServers, but then your users would have to use the F8,F9,etc keys to switch desktops, which would be a pita.

Hey - why not add a monitor, keyboard, and mouse and add a second seat for them?
              Last edited by oshunluvr; Feb 18, 2012, 09:44 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X