This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by james147 View Post
    From what I can tell of what gkrellm is, is that it monitors your system? ... kde has many plasmoid devoted to this ^^... I would advise you try some of them out, look at www.kde-look.org it is where most are housed (and the ones here can be downloaded and install by clicking the get new widgets button in kde and the more official ones are available in the repos).
    Correct, gkrellm monitors a lot of things.
    I want to change the app for years, since KDE4.0.

But in the past I have found only one plasmoid getting close to gkrellm (Yasp), and none offered all the functions I am using with gkrellm (for instance, alerts when limits are reached for more than X secs in a row for fans, temps, cpu load, disk usage, disk read/write throughput (I/O), and also the cumulative network transfers that can be reset at a specific date (monthly and daily) and others). I'm sure some could be used to offer the functions but I am not very good at developing that. The original creator of YASP once told me it was not possible to have alerts with his plasmoid. Or much too complex.

Maybe it changed in the past year and a half or so, it's still on my to do list to some day find another app like gkrellm, mostly cuz the GUI does not fit at all with KDE and not even with Ubuntu anyway. So far all have failed my tests based on the usage I do with monitors. I tried to change my ways but I failed too. loll
    Last edited by FrankKubuntu; Feb 13, 2012, 11:27 AM.
    Frank
    Kubuntu 19.10/20.04
    AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
    Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

Comment

Ha! Well I'll be damned. Everything works now, except network still doesn't wake up, I need to log out my user and log back in.

What's interesting is the dbus command used in the Kubuntu script does not seem to work. First it starts with "dbus_send" and not "dbus-send"...

So I manually tried the command (with - and not _) but I get an access denied:
      Code:
      $ dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
      Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied: Rejected send message, 6 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.77" (uid=1000 pid=21976 comm="dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freede") interface="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" member="wake" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=1170 comm="NetworkManager ")
      Ok then with sudo:

Code:
      $ sudo dbus-send --print-reply --system --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManager /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.wake
      Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: Method "wake" with signature "" on interface "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" doesn't exist
      So I'll try to find a command to restart my network. But I'll also try without my script and see if my network wakes up fine. Maybe something else, unrelated to my script, stopped working.

But for the script, definitely the export DISPLAY=:0 now permits me to organize my commands nicely.
      Frank
      Kubuntu 19.10/20.04
      AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
      Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

Comment

Working...
      X