This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE/konsole autostart

When I save a session in KDE, sometimes when I return, the changes I have made show up when I start up, sometime not. It would be nice to know under what conditions, the KDE
    environment get saved, but that is not really my question. For example, for some of my konsole terminal windows, KDE comes up in the working directory in which I was last working (this
    I like), and in other konsoles the terminal windows always start up in my home directory (I don't care for this too much).

My question is, where can I find documentation on the KDE startup script(s)? In particular, I would like to have better control of how konsole start up in KDE.

Thanks for any advise.

Jim A

Originally posted by jjanderson5 View Post
    My question is, where can I find documentation on the KDE startup script(s)? In particular, I would like to have better control of how konsole start up in KDE.

Thanks for any advise.

Jim A
    Hi,

Have you tried with

Code:
    konsole --help
    in konsole?
    Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
      Hi,

Have you tried with

Code:
      konsole --help
      in konsole?
      Thank you. That helps some. I had tried looking a number of different ways, but I had not tried that. That sheds some light on what I'm trying to do, but I will still need more documentation. I think with what shows up with 'konsole --help', 'konsole --help-kde', and with some experimentation, I will be able to start a konsole window from a command line and have it come up as I desire.

The next step will be to figure out how to put that command into a KDE startup script so that when I log on to my PC, kde starts up with konsole, configured as I want them, on the KDE desktop(s).

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jjanderson5 View Post

The next step will be to figure out how to put that command into a KDE startup script so that when I log on to my PC, kde starts up with konsole, configured as I want them, on the KDE desktop(s).

Jim
        Well, you jot down a bash script with your favourite editor, something like

Code:
        #! /bin/bash

konsole --workdir [i]path to some directory goes here[/i]
        save it into some directory of your choice, make it executable, then run System Settings and go to System Startup and Shutdown, than pick Autostart and than click on Add Script and there you pick your script. Than Log Off - Login and you'll have the konsole(s) running where you want it. I'm using Kubuntu in my native language so the names might be slightly different in English but you'll manage to find your way...

But if it is only one instance that you need to open you can edit konsole's profile and set default path to directory of your choice.

EDIT: If you could use some help with scripting as well then here's a useful link link: http://linuxconfig.org/Bash_scripting_Tutorial
        Last edited by rms; Feb 08, 2012, 12:56 PM.
        Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Working...
        X