This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing VirtualBox GuestAdditions

I am trying to install ArchBang on VirtualBox. I did the install and the install is ok except the screen size is reduced (small). In order to correct this I have tried installing the guestadditions package but no luck so far. When I try to install I get the following messages:

Unable to mount the CD/DVD image /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and
    Could not mount the media/drive /usr/share/virtualbox/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso
    (VERR_PDM_MEDIA-LOCKED)

It also asks if I want to force mount, but the only buttons available are (Force Unmount) and (Cancel).

And force unmount does nothing.

I have also tried reading the virtualbox manual but either I'm too dense (always a possibility) or the manual isn't current. I say that because often the options described are not aviable when I view the actual screen. (example: It says to use the add button in the media manager but I could not find an 'add' option in the version I downloaded from the repositories today.

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

Just install them from the repos... the iso is provided in virtualbox for distros that don't already package the virtualbox guest additions and its best to use the packaged versions where available.

I don't know spicificaly about archbang, but if it uses the arch repos then virtualbox-archlinux-additions is the archlinux packages you want to install on the guest. Also see this for more info on running archlinux as a guest in virtualbox.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
      Just install them from the repos... the iso is provided in virtualbox for distros that don't already package the virtualbox guest additions and its best to use the packaged versions where available.

I don't know spicificaly about archbang, but if it uses the arch repos then virtualbox-archlinux-additions is the archlinux packages you want to install on the guest. Also see this for more info on running archlinux as a guest in virtualbox.
      I did install/download both packages VB & VBGuestAdditions from the repository. I don't think the issue is related to a specific Arch GuestAdditions I think the problem is the GuestAddition package from the repository is not mounted and I can't figure out how to get it mounted.

Also, I do appreciate links, just don't think thats the problem right now.

Comment

Originally posted by f.bluedevil View Post
        I did install/download both packages VB & VBGuestAdditions from the repository. I don't think the issue is related to a specific Arch GuestAdditions I think the problem is the GuestAddition package from the repository is not mounted and I can't figure out how to get it mounted.

Also, I do appreciate links, just don't think thats the problem right now.
        You don't need to mount it if you already have the guest additions installed on the guest ^^ and you should install the addions form the arch repos on the guest.

But if you insist on trying to install the already installed modules (this really isn't recommended... let the package manager manage the files ^^ ) then follow this

Comment

I installed the binary version of VB from the repository into my Precise installation. I imported by XP guest OS from my old laptop via a USB stick. It had the guest addition running in XP, and was installed from within XP. But, in Precise the new version of VB (4.1.5) doesn't work that way. You have to go out to the VB site and download the *.vbox-extpack file for your version of VB. Then, under File --> Preferences --> Extensions, you can click the "+" button and navigate to that downloaded extension file and select it. It will load into VB, not a guest OS, and will be available for ALL the guests OSs your VB runs.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
            You don't need to mount it if you already have the guest additions installed on the guest ^^ and you should install the addions form the arch repos on the guest.

To be honest, I'm not comfortable enough with Arch to go through the steps listed.

But if you insist on trying to install the already installed modules (this really isn't recommended... let the package manager manage the files ^^ ) then follow this
            I gave this a try but I still received the same error message. Which is the same as the error message shown on the thread.

James & GreyGeek - I want to thank you for your help and advice. I am going to try this again but with Debian as the guest and see if the installation is any smoother. I will refer back to this thread if I run into further problems.

Thanks Again.

Comment

Working...
            X