This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really annoying icon suddenly appeared and wont go away

After updating a few weeks ago, a little icon suddenly appeared on my desktop. I cant find any way to make it go away. It floats on top of everything, even full screen games and movies, and clicking on it does nothing but bring up a menu of keyboard input methods. How do I make this thing go away Its driving me nuts!
    Attached Files

Try opening a terminal, typing "xkill" and carefully clicking on the icon. Then log out and back in.

Please Read Me

Comment

Looks like "IBus". If you haven't already sorted this out, does it have a right-click menu with a quit option?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunlulvr View Post
        Try opening a terminal, typing "xkill"
        Or press alt+ctrl+esc to launch xkill

Comment

Killing it does the job, but doenst prevent it from happening next time I boot.

I managed to disable it through Settings > Keyboard Input Methods. But it still pops up in the bar even though I have deselected show icon on system tray. Weird... I cant figure out why it suddenly decided to pop up and why it wont get out of the system tray...

Comment

Unless you need it for alternate input methods, perhaps just getting rid of iBus would be the easiest thing to do...

sudo apt-get purge ibus-qt4 libibus-qt1 ibus libibus-1.0-0
            Last edited by SteveRiley; Feb 04, 2012, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I do need alternative inputs, but I dont need an icon. I cant figure this thing out...sometimes its there, sometimes its not. When I booted this morning it didnt pop up, but it came up last night and Ive changed no options since yesterday morning. Maybe its like in RPG games where there are bits of randomness to make things more realistic. Maybe Kubuntu was too perfect and people were complaining about it lacking reality so they made this icon pop up on occasion....

Comment

Still cant figure this out. In the ibus preferences menu, there is an option to display the icon in the panel. This option is deselected. However, a lot of times, when I turn the computer on the icon is in the panel. If I go to ibus preferences, the icon option is deselected. Selecting and then deselecting this option makes the icon go away. Any ideas on how to fix this Should I file a bug report?

Comment

Working...
                X