This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 4.8 Experience BAD!!!

I received a notification for 240 updates. I went to terminal and did sudo apt-get update then dist-upgrade. All upgrades came through, installed then rebooted system and it was not responsive at all. I clicked on the "K" icon on taskbar and it took over a minute to come up, then it just stayed there like my machine locked up. I waited 5 minutes and it did not go away and when I clicked on Logout nothing happened. I had to hold down my power button to get it turned off. I turned it back on and it booted and responded the exact same way. I wiped my drive did a complete new install and then dist-upgrade and the exact same thing happened. Please wait at least a week to do an upgrade so bugs can be worked out. It seems to me with every upgrade Kubuntu is getting worse. If this keeps up I will use a different distribution. Absolutely ridiculous!!!
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Reading some other posts here the builds are not quite ready and/or complete yet.
    Have some patience!

Comment

I usually do have patients but it started with the new forums. My login and password would not work, I had to create another one and I couldn't use my original screen name because it says it's already in use. Emailing the administrator did nothing. Said my original screen name was to short yet my new one is exactly the same length. Now this problem. Oh and lets not forget the Nvidia fiasco that's still not working. If the builds are not ready then why publish them. My updater notified me of updates. How many others updated to having a non working system. I donate $50 to this cause every month and this is how I'm thanked!! If I wanted a non working system I would have stayed with Windows. Yes, my patients are wearing thin.......
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram

Comment

I had no problems upgrading, everything runs smoothly.

Comment

I am running Precise (12.04), which is in Alpha and running 4.8. I had a big update this morning. My system is running great. In fact, FireFox and the network is doing better than ever.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
            I wiped my drive did a complete new install and then dist-upgrade and the exact same thing happened
            Did you do a completely clean install? or did you keep your home partition. If you did keep you home then try creating a new user and see if they suffer the same problem If they don't then its likely a problem with your user configs.

Comment

I also had trouble with the new forum. I had a couple of goes to get my name and password the same as in the old forum. After about 2 attempts I finally got it set so that I now do not have to login each time I visit the forum. It seems as though the copying of all the news items took some time and there are still some glitches. For example, I started an entry titled "If Password Protected Files DON'T UPGRADE TO LIBREOFFICE 3.4.5" and I now find that the text in my post is repeated twice and the reply by "steveriley" is also repeated twice.

As far as the upgrade to KDE 4.8 went, I had no major problems. I am not sure how useful it is to have vituoso-t and the associated file indexing. On my System Monitor, the CPU History is close to 90% for each of two processors, and this may result in a slow down. The main problems that I have had with KDE 4.8 are:

1. I have an additional monitor connected to my laptop and after I configure the monitors with System Settings>Display and Monitor and then save as Default, after reboot it ignores the default and gives a low resolution display. To fix this I have to use xrandr settings for my displays in Xsetup.

2. I shutdown with my Calendar present and on the Task Bar. After reboot, it then comes up on the display and no longer minimized.

That is all I have found so far. I expect that there will be a number of updates in the coming days as problems are revealed and solved. Overall I am very happy with the improvements in 4.8 and I can work around the current problems.

Comment

Me too
                I had to contact the forum's support to get a new password as repeated attempts via the web site did not deliver a mail to me.

I've just done two updates to KDE4.8.0 and both are working.
                On the first one (my test partition) Muon hung half way through the configuration but after killing it and removing the lock file I could finish via apt-get in the terminal.
                The second went without a single glitch, nice job of the backport people!

Comment

I too had to contact the sites admin for help logging on, finally had to get them to reset my password.

As for the upgrade to 4.8, I knew from previous experience that it's best to wait a few hours or more before upgrading, just to make sure I don't run into the situation you just experienced. My experience with 4.8 has been great.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    Me too
                    On the first one (my test partition) Muon hung half way through the configuration but after killing it and removing the lock file I could finish via apt-get in the terminal.
                    The second went without a single glitch, nice job of the backport people!
                    I've given up on Muon for doing any serious system updating, since I have had to do this every time i update, though i think i know why it hangs:

Every time it hangs on me, its asking about kdrc i believe. This makes me believe, as well as seeing it from other people's posts, that muon doesnt know how to handle this, and will simply hang. The devs should be made aware of this, so that they know whats up with that.

Other then that, Ive had no problems, Ill be doing a system restart later to see if its consistent(I love that i can update 250 packages and not require an update. amazing)
                    Computer Lie #1: You&#39;ll never use all that disk space.<br />FATAL SYSTEM ERROR: Press F13 to continue...<br />The box said, &quot;Requires Windows 7 Home Edition or better&quot; ..so I installed Linux<br />My software never has bugs. It just develops random features.<br />Bad command. Bad, bad command! Sit! Stay! Staaay...

Comment

James147 I did a complete drive wipe and new install of everything. I've tried the separate home partition thing and discovered it was more problems that just a new install. I never use a package manager to do a full upgrade, especially Muon. It's nice to hear most of you are having a good experience with 4.8, but that doesn't help me much. I'll wait a week to try again.
                      Alienware 17 R2
                      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                      Nvidia Graphics
                      16 Ram

Comment

What version were you running before the upgrade? If in doing it you jumped a couple or more versions then that can lead to the odd issue.

There can be 101 reasons for this but if one has problems like that they can often be fixed by renaming (don't delete) the hidden folder /home/.kde/share/config and then rebooting. That gives you a fresh desktop, no key data is deleted, but you will have to reconfigure your kde-centric programs. If you use the KDE Pim suite be aware that (I think) the Data for those programs is kept in a sub folder called resources (hence you shouldn't delete it). Either that or you could rename all the little text files in that directory the start with either kde or plasma.

If that works, you can then reconfigure your desktop and once you are satisfied with it (and only then) you can think about deleting the renamed stuff.

HTH

Comment

Thanks Liquidator for the great info. However, my desktop was completely useless. I was upgrading from KDE 4.7.4. Even when I completely wiped and installed Kubuntu, I did all the updates then did the 4.8 update. I know there are usually problems with new versions. I usually wait until versions like 4.8.1 after some bugs are fixed. I can wait until a later version but the nvidia problems really have me looking for a different version of Linux. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10 and nvidia drivers work fine. Dreamlinux worked fine as well. I'm trying Arch now. What I don't really understand is why put Nouveau in a free choice OS and take your choice away on using what video driver you want to use. Sounds like a Windows tactic to me. Oh well, thanks again for your advise.
                          Alienware 17 R2
                          ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                          Nvidia Graphics
                          16 Ram

Comment

Only one issue here with the 4.8 update, frequent lockups. Re-installing xorg corrected the problem. Actually I ran sgfxi, and it took care of the re-install of xorg. I have Intel graphics.
                            Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
                            Always consider Occam's Razor
                            Rich

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
                              Thanks Liquidator for the great info. However, my desktop was completely useless. I was upgrading from KDE 4.7.4. Even when I completely wiped and installed Kubuntu, I did all the updates then did the 4.8 update. I know there are usually problems with new versions. I usually wait until versions like 4.8.1 after some bugs are fixed. I can wait until a later version but the nvidia problems really have me looking for a different version of Linux. I've tried Ubuntu 11.10 and nvidia drivers work fine. Dreamlinux worked fine as well. I'm trying Arch now. What I don't really understand is why put Nouveau in a free choice OS and take your choice away on using what video driver you want to use. Sounds like a Windows tactic to me. Oh well, thanks again for your advise.
                              Ahhh - that's interesting. Might it actually be nothing to do with KDE 4.8 at all? You are running the nouveau drivers and think you can't run the nvidia ones?

That's incorrect. Simply do kmenu/applications/system/additional drivers to install the nvidia ones. I recognise you may have moved on but if you come back that's what you need to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X