This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing KDE with GNOME

Hello everyone, basicly I am sick of KDE with Plasma and its crashes. I do understand the concept of removing packages but I would like to know a little advice ( I have searched the archives). When I choose to remove packages does this actually remove it from /bin (or where ever they are kept)? If so, how do I disable KDE so that the packages have not been deleted, just not in use. As well as, none of its associated software is enabled to myself? So i guess what I am asking is, is there a command or something that will disable desktop enviroments with bundled software?

hope that made sense. thankyou

I'm new to linux

Re: Replacing KDE with GNOME

Two-step process.

Install the package gnome
    This meta-package depends on the standard distribution of the GNOME desktop environment, plus a complete range of plugins and other applications integrating with GNOME and Debian, providing the best possible environment to date.
    Then, to get to a 'pure' Gnome environment:

Getting Back to a Pure Gnome on Ubuntu
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thankyou, its probably best if i just remove kde. hopefully GNOME will be more faithful to me

Comment

W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc3_fuc409c for module nouveau

several others of these appeared... should this concern me?

This is the entire ( or what I think is the entire log)

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.0.0-14-generic
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/fuc41ad for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/fuc41ac for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/fuc409d for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/fuc409c for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc4_fuc41ad for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc4_fuc41ac for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc4_fuc409d for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc4_fuc409c for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc3_fuc41ad for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc3_fuc41ac for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc3_fuc409d for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc3_fuc409c for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc0_fuc41ad for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc0_fuc41ac for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc0_fuc409d for module nouveau
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/nouveau/nvc0_fuc409c for module nouveau

Comment

This shouldn't be an issue. Install Gnome from the package manager. At your next login, there will be a button that allows you to select which DE you want to use. Select Gnome rather then KDE. You will then be using a Gnome DE, but still have all of the KDE library's available for use.
          Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Working...
          X