Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kmail - This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail - This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Like others I'm having very intermittent problems with Kmail; sometimes it works; sometimes it looses "sent-mail" ; sometimes it will not send mail; sometimes the Mail transport stops working .... etc., etc.

I'm running KDE4.8 (beta) on Oneric 64-bit, dual-core Intel system.

Emails from various folks (some in France) used to come through OK, but just recently I've started getting great long headers and masses of (what looks like HTML) coding all over the mail.

For example, just today, this arrived:

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
    ------=_NextPart_000_0003_01CCD190.54F12F50
    Content-Type: text/plain;
    charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

[then some barely readable text], then:

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01CCD190.54F12F50
    Content-Type: text/html;
    charset="iso-8859-1"
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
    <HTML><HEAD>
    <META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Diso-8859-1" =
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
    <META name=3Dqrichtext content=3D1>
    <STYLE type=3Dtext/css>
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
    </STYLE>

<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16440"></HEAD>
    <BODY=20
    style=3D"FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: 'URW Gothic L'; FONT-SIZE: =
    13pt; FONT-WEIGHT: 200">
    <DIV dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><SPAN class=3D670031623-12012012><FONT =
    size=3D4>Cher=20 ...................... more ......

In Kmail you can change the encoding under the view menu, but there is no iso-8859-1 option.

Does anybody else have this trouble in Kmail? I've been really struggling with Akonadi failures, Nepomux re-starts, re-initialising all the databases, etc., and it's getting pretty difficult to stay with Kmail; I've tried purging Kontact/Kmail and re-loading, and all sorts of configuration changes ..... and I'm really tempted to give up and go Thunderbird-ing or Gmail-ing, but I want Kmail to work! I like Kontact, so there! Help!

Re: Kmail - This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Hi Phil.
    I imagine that the situation really is something to do with Kontact, and it is way beyond my capapbilities.

However, I did send myself a test e-mail, and it went through Kontact ok.

There is the solar storms that are disrupting telecommunications and since it is from France, it may have had to go through several satellites...don't know.

Probably something in Kontact.

woodsmoke

Comment

kmail is perfect, it is more than 3 years I am using it as my mail client even for my job. the only weakness it HTML support.
      maybe the kontact on KUBUNTU 11.10 having some bugs but for 11.04 it is as perfect as before.

Comment

thanks knaxix, that is good to know information.

woodsmoke

Comment

Re: Kmail - This is a multi-part message in MIME format (SOLVED - POSSIBLY!).

Hi woodsmoke and knaxix, thanks for your comments.

I think my problem has gone away but I'm not completely sure why.

I agree that 11.04 had no problems with HTML and my problems started after the KDE 4.8 beta upgrade to 11.10 and we know there have been recent additions to the HTML capabilities of Kmail.

Anyway, I began to wonder about SPAM filters, and noticed that I had both Bogofilter and Spamassassin configured; don't know how that happened? Must have "clicked" both in error. I wondered whether they could be interacting negatively? So, I purged Kmail again last Friday and purged Bogofilter as well. Then I re-loaded Kmail and configured ONLY Spamassassin. I also noticed that we had about 30 various updates over the weekend. Don't know which (if any) helped, but yesterday, after the re-build, Kmail started working properly again.

"Sent mail" now ends up in the correct place; the folder counters increment correctly; SPAM goes to my spam folder; the message pane lists all the email components correctly -- both the plain text part and the HTML part (if present). Clicking on the HTML part brings up the dialogue box correctly and it's possile then to view the HTML part competely.

So, I'm happy . Kmail seems OK again and I'm glad, because I like Kontact and Kmail, but it would be nice to know what the problem was! But it certainly wasn't the "French Connection" -- emails from there now arrive wonderfully clean!

Comment

Hi
            I don't use a spam filter or anything so, don't know, but I'm glad it worked!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
            X