This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unwanted music playing

Sometimes (like now) I will accidentally click on a file containing music and open it. The result is that the music starts playing. How can I stop it when the program that's doing the playing isn't visible? I assume that the player set some process in motion and then walked away from it. At the moment I have three different tracks playing at the same time, which produces a most chaotic sound. The process list has far too many processes with names that I can't identify for me to be able to go there and kill the offending program.

Re: Unwanted music playing

one of the unintended consequences of "Linux"/"browser" being...."modern".... it probably would not happen if you had not enabled ALL THOSE CODECS!!!

woodsmoke

Comment

One codec but many players, perhaps?

Could it be that I have only one codec, but it's being used by several players?

Comment

I'm sorry, I didn't post my thought very well because I experienced just what you described only a day or so ago.

What happens to moi is that I can be listening to xmms playing a stream, and go to a website and the website has music on it or an advert that has sound and both of them are playing at the same time. This was not something that happened, for me, a lot until FF really got cracking on doing the media thing.

just a thought, your situation may be different.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by pwabrahams
          How can I stop it when the program that's doing the playing isn't visible?
          I'd suggest changing the default application for playing music files to one that is visible.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

The answer, sort of and perhaps

Originally posted by woodsmoke
            What happens to moi is that I can be listening to xmms playing a stream, and go to a website and the website has music on it or an advert that has sound and both of them are playing at the same time.
            That's a very good example. The answer may be that we need to be more alert to double music, and when we hear it, catch it while the players are still visible. Once you close them, all is lost. For a website, closing the browser or even navigating away from the site might be sufficient.

Comment

It's usual something without a gui like mpg123 or mplayer, look for them in the system activities and do like other sugested to assign these files to a regular player.

Comment

I have this problem with Rhythymbox.... If I don't 'stop' the music before I close the app, it continues to play despite the window being gone. I have to kill -9 rhythymbox to stop it.
                Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy1701
                  I have this problem with Rhythymbox.... If I don't 'stop' the music before I close the app, it continues to play despite the window being gone. I have to kill -9 rhythymbox to stop it.
                  That sounds a lot like closing the window is only minimising the program to the system tray, rather than actually closing it. Have you checked that this isn't the case?
                  sigpic
                  "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                  -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect
                    That sounds a lot like closing the window is only minimising the program to the system tray, rather than actually closing it. Have you checked that this isn't the case?
                    How can I check this? There is no option in the preferences for RB to allow it.
                    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect
                      How can I check this? There is no option in the preferences for RB to allow it.
                      I couldn't tell you; it's been a while since I last had RhythmBox installed on my system, but I have a feeling that closing to a tray icon when music is currently playing might be its default behaviour.

However, what I meant was - when you close RB and the music keeps on playing, have you checked the system tray (including the 'hidden icons' area) for an RB icon?
                      sigpic
                      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Rhythymbox ,Banshee and Clementine all do this by default.
                        When you close the main window, they all minimize to the system tray.

In Clementine you can change this behavior in it's settings. I don't know about the others since I have not used them in a while.

Comment

Working...
                        X