This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Application (DamnVid) won't open from menu but will only launch in Konsole

I'm a new KDE/Kubuntu user (About six days now) and I LOVE Kubuntu. I have everything set up and running very nicely. I'm just having two hangups at the moment.

There's an application called DamnVid that I've used for a while in Linux Mint. It's very handy for downloading Youtube videos. You just open the app and any online video url that you copy will automatically download through DamnVid, and can then be converted to different formats. My problem is, DamnVid is not in the Ubuntu repos but I added it's PPA and installed it. It shows up in the applications menu, but will not launch by clicking it. But if I launch it from Konsole it works perfectly fine. But it only runs while the terminal is open.

My other problem is: I've been using Redshift in Gnome to automatically adjust monitor brightness; and I tried installing it through Muon, but that would not launch from the menu either. I uninstalled it and discovered a Redshift/Flux panel widget for KDE. I figured that should work. I installed the widget and set latitude and longitude. But it doesn't seem to be doing anything. And when I rebooted the computer I got some error message (which I don't remember well now) that there was already an instance of the widget running and did I want to replace it. This happened twice, so I have now removed it. However, Redshift still appears in the Utilities menu, but doesn't launch.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

"Sitting quietly, doing nothing,
    Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself."
Working...
X