This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b won't start.

Just installed Kubuntu because I finally upgraded Ubuntu and couldn't stand Unity. Everything works perfectly (thus far) except k3b. When I try to run it from the launcher it just doesn't load.
    When I run k3b from terminal I get:

KGlobal::locale::Warning your global KLocale is being recreated with a valid main component instead of a fake component, this usually means you tried to call i18n related functions before your main component was created. You should not do that since it most likely will not work
    *** stack smashing detected ***: <unknown> terminated
    KCrash: Application 'k3b' crashing...
    unnamed app(3599): Communication problem with "k3b" , it probably crashed.
    Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

I know my drive works cause it will read a movie dvd and play in VLC.

Have done some google searching to no avail. Even searched this forum and didn't find anything. I know some stuff. but I don't even know where to go from here.

Thanks for any assistance.

Re: k3b won't start.

Try running k3b at root - kdesudo k3b nad see if it launches.

Could be a permissions issue with the CD write function.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, somehow I forgot to subscribe to this thread. SO I didn't get your response right away. I didn't know about kdesudo ran it that way once and now k3b starts up through terminal. will do some more testing. Once again, thanks for the help.

Comment

Search the web for "k3b will only run as root" and you should find some answers. There are a couple reasons this may be happening.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, after running kdesudo k3b it asked me to set some permissions and I didn't touch anything. Now it runs just fine from the launcher. It is kind of weird but it is working now as it should have before. the only thing that has changed was that I added VirtualBox. Don't see any reason that should have changed anything but maybe it reset the permissions for me. Thanks for all your help. Loving the switch to KDE.

Comment

Working...
          X