This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reconstructing my kmail2 inbox

The indexing of my kmail2 inbox is terribly awry. The message shown in the lower pane is often not the same one as the one highlighted in the index. This happened after I had other problems with the inbox, where deleted messages became greyed out but didn't go away.

I tried to fix things by deleting the .inbox index files in the hope that kmail would reconstruct them, but that seems to have made matters even worse.

Is there a way that I can convince kmail to rebuild its index files from scratch?

Ever since I migrated from kmail to kmail2 I've had no end of grief with this program. And every time I've tried to fix a problem, things have gotten worse.

Re: Reconstructing my kmail2 inbox

Have you upgraded to the 4.8 beta of KDE (4.7.95)? Incorrect deletions are a problem with KMail in this version; I'm not sure about prior versions since I didn't use KMail in 4.7.x.

Comment

The 4.8 beta

Yes, I upgraded to the 4.8 beta because of the problems I was having with the 4.7.3 version (which, I read, it shares with the 4.7.4 version). The 4.7.3 version kept hanging with the message "Retrieving Folder Contents". The last version that worked decently was 4.7.2. I tried to revert to 4.7.2 but the reversion required reverting too much other software to be practicable, or so it seemed.

Is there no safe harbor?

Comment

Re: Reconstructing my kmail2 inbox

If you're using KMail to access mail that's stored and managed on a webmail site, like Gmail, it's a fairly simple and safe process for making KMail forget everything and starting over. I can help you with that.

If KMail's folders contain the only copies of your emails, I'm afraid I can't help you with that, as I've not used the program in that fashion.

Comment

Working...
        X