This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synaptiks crashing, or, Why I am confused about bug reporting

One of the first things I did when getting serious about Kubuntu (about a month ago only) was to get serious about contributing via bug reporting. But I don't feel like I've got anywhere.

The KDE Crash Handler / Crash Reporting Assistant quickly gave me an opportunity when synaptiks, the control module for the touchpad in my notebook, crashed on bootup. I duly added all the debug symbols and opened a bug: Bug 288655 - synaptiks crash on bootup.

It was just as quickly closed as a duplicate of Bug 283173 - synaptiks-0.7 crashed after suspend with ALPS touchpad. That bug is closed, but I'm not sure if it's because it's out of scope for KDE or because it's believed fixed - comment #6 says version 0.8.0 of synaptiks fixes it.

What's my next step? Should I report it to Kubuntu or (possibly also) join the conversation at #21: Synaptiks crashes after resuming pc - Issues - lunaryorn/synaptiks - GitHub?

And what happens if the synaptiks developers believe they have a fix? I assume that getting the fix into Kubuntu is a packaging matter for Canonical, and not of any interest to kde.org?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Re: synaptiks crashing, or, Why I am confused about bug reporting

Ugh, from what I see on github, in the last post,the devs are still trying to find where the problem actually is

Thanks for your update, though I already knew, that 0.8 didn't really fix this bug. I'm beginning to believe that this bug is actually somewhere in the PyQt and python-dbus libraries, and not in synaptiks itself. It'll take some time to sort this out.
    It will get fixed, eventually.

Once a bug fix is actually in place I politely ask a dev to post a patch so the packaging team can issue an update of the affected package(s).

Such is the way things get done and I like it very much Be patient, and polite and chances are your problem gets solved.

Comment

Thanks. ... So should I offer my possibly-different crash logs to the devs at github? Or wait quietly?
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

There is no harm in asking them if you can help them figure out what is broken

Comment

Working...
        X