This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reliable and consistent mp3 ripper

I really can't remember exactly which right now, sorry. Murky details that I can recall: ffmpeg, some kind of front-end GUI, and a mechanism that preserved my carefully-crafted tags.

Comment

have to research how to do rips to FLAC in Kubuntu.
      Asunder.

Comment

Originally posted by sixthwheel
        Asunder.
        I'm certain that the audiocd KIO-slave will do FLAC, in addition to the other formats it supports (MP3, Ogg Vorbis & uncompressed WAV), so there is no real need to install any additional dedicated ripping / encoding software at all. IIRC, it even does CDDB lookups, and supports the use of regular expressions for automatically modifying the resulting file names. This capability being 'baked in' is one of the many things I love about KDE.

If I had an audio CD handy I'd test & confirm, but they're all packed away in boxes and awkward to get to
        sigpic
        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect
          Originally posted by sixthwheel
          Asunder.
          I'm certain that the audiocd KIO-slave will do FLAC, in addition to the other formats it supports (MP3, Ogg Vorbis & uncompressed WAV), so there is no real need to install any additional dedicated ripping / encoding software at all. IIRC, it even does CDDB lookups, and supports the use of regular expressions for automatically modifying the resulting file names. This capability being 'baked in' is one of the many things I love about KDE.

If I had an audio CD handy I'd test & confirm, but they're all packed away in boxes and awkward to get to
          confirmed but when you drag the flack folder to your music you end up with a ....flack folder with the songs in it ........K3b will give you a named folder with the songs in it ......

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            confirmed but when you drag the flack folder to your music you end up with a ....flack folder with the songs in it ........K3b will give you a named folder with the songs in it ......

VINNY
            You can configure that in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Audio CDs -> Names.
            sigpic
            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Audex works a treat.

http://kde.maniatek.com/audex/
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Still have that weird issue in K3b with the first song not ripping properly. I'm going to go ahead and give Asunder a try.
                Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Just a quick update... Asunder is installed and working great! Thanks for the info!!
                  Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Originally posted by quarkslot View Post
                    Audex works a treat.

http://kde.maniatek.com/audex/
                    Unfortunately, it doesn't. It is slow, keeps giving low-memory warnings without giving the option of setting the cache location and size and crashes whenever one tries to add an encoder, whether command line or via an encoder search. The website you quote seems to have gone 404.

I keep using it because it uses paranoia and does a great job in error free rips to .wav. I use a cross converter , Sound Convertor, to change the .wav files to Ogg Vorbis and this works very well.

I went looking for a more recent version than the 0.72 beta that is the latest in the Kubuntu distribution. I found that the latest version is 0.74 beta and this has fixed the crashing when new encoders are added. That's why I already knew that the website was down. I found V7.4 in the Ubuntu repository, but I don't want to chance ruining my installation with a new compile or an install from another repository.

Has audex hit the buffers? The most recent date for 0.74b1 is Mar 18 2008 although the KDE apps page was updated on Jan 15 2011. It would be a shame if development had stopped as Audex has the potential for an Exact Audio Copy replacement.

Regards, Roy Leith

Comment

I have just installed Asunder and am running it now. I checked the dependencies and found that, just like Audex, it uses CDParanoia. However, the settings do not allow the program to only accept error free rips.

Because it works well and without complaints, I am transferring to Asunder. The only change I made was to increase the Ogg Vorbis quality settings and to change the dev to /dev/sr0.

Regards, Roy Leith

Comment

Originally posted by royleith View Post
                        Unfortunately, it doesn't. It is slow, keeps giving low-memory warnings without giving the option of setting the cache location and size and crashes whenever one tries to add an encoder, whether command line or via an encoder search. The website you quote seems to have gone 404.
                        Sorry to hear about your experiences, all I can say is that I've never encountered any of these problems using Audex. The website is still there, or it was when I looked a minuted ago, so I will e-mail the author and see if they are still developing the application.

Comment

I reckon development on Audex has stalled, the e-mail on the website is no longer working and the message I posted on kde-apps.org has not been replied.

Audex was a KDE4 fork of KAudioCreator but the latter has now been updated for KDE4, the most recent update was September last year.

There is also soundKonverter (in the repository) which is under active development, the most recent update was today! I haven't used it so I can't comment on how good it is.

Comment

Why don't you just set up your own "cloud" server? In the US, anything that is left on a public "cloud" server more than 180 days is subject to search and seizure under the Patriot Act...

Turns out that is true even for companies who are using servers in Europe, if the company is US-based.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I think it's important, when we discuss topics like this, to make sure we get the details right. From The USA PATRIOT Act: A Legal Analysis:

Communications Records and Stored E-Mail. With respect to chapter 126, relating among other things to the content of stored e-mail and to communications records held by third parties, the law permits criminal investigators to retrieve the content of electronic communications in storage, like e-mail, with a search warrant, and if the communication has been in remote storage for more than 180 days without notifying the subscriber, 18 U.S.C. 2703(a),(b). A warrant will also suffice to seize records describing telephone and other communications transactions without customer notice, 18 U.S.C. 2703(c). In the absence of the probable cause necessary for a warrant but with a showing of reasonable grounds to believe that the information sought is relevant to a criminal investigation, officers are entitled to a court order mandating access to electronic communications in remote storage for more than 180 days or to communications records, 18 U.S.C. 2703(b),(c). They can obtain a limited amount of record information (subscribers' names and addresses, telephone numbers, billing records and the like) using an administrative, grand jury, or trial court subpoena, 18 U.S.C. 2703(c)(1)(C). There is no subscriber notification in record cases. Elsewhere, the court may delay customer notification in the face of exigent circumstances or if notice is likely to seriously jeopardize the investigation or unduly delay the trial, 18 U.S.C. 2705.
                              From this we learn:
                              * Investigators require a search warrant, which is a higher bar than a subpoena, for content less than 180 days old
                              * Beyond 180 days, a search warrant is still required, but investigators aren't required to notify the subscriber
                              * Investigators can obtain metadata about communications with a warrant at any time, and no subscriber notification is required
                              * If the details of the investigation don't permit a warrant (i.e., insufficient probable cause), investigators can obtain a subpoena, but only after 180 days
                              * Circumstances allow courts to determine to what extent subscribers can be notified of metatdata retrieval

One more important bit: if you encrypt your data before you send it to a public cloud, but keep the keys away from the cloud, then investigators will have to obtain search warrants to get your keys.

Comment

It has been a while since I ripped my cd collection but thought the program was called grip It took a little while to get all the setttings the way I liked but it seemed to work pretty good. I remember using a windows program via wine EAC as well.

grip for Ubuntu is at:

http://mycodesnippets.com/2011/03/10...u-through-ppa/

Comment

Working...
                                X