X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reliable and consistent mp3 ripper

Hello,
    So I have well over 1000 CDs that were ripped using a variety of software dating as far back as the start of digital media, before CDDB even. If I recall, back in those days Winamp would rip mp3s. Now days, I've been using whatever seems to get me through. I'd like to rerip them all just to modernize my collection.

I tried K3B with lame and am having limited success. First, I have to set the settings every time (including ID3 tags, folder, etc). Second, it always rips the first song on the disc as 0mb, and I have rerip that one song.

Is there an ultra reliable and consistent mp3 ripper out there? Something one click would be super. Just pop in the disc, click rip, and have it work right (location, id3 tag, file naming, etc), every time.

Thanks in advance!
    Registered Linux user #346571

Re: Reliable and consistent mp3 ripper

I have never had the "re-rip track 1" problem with K3b that you are describing -- I think there is something a little hinky with your settings or something. I've always used K3b and probably ripped a couple hundred CDs over the years. It's not quite 1 click, but with a little forethought to things like where you want the ripped files to end up, it's been very reliable for years.

Comment

In the past, when the K3b was moving to the KDE4, i did use the RipIt:

Package ripit:
      Description: Textbased audio CD ripper
      ripit runs in text mode (no fancy GUI here) and does everything required to
      produce a set of mp3, ogg, flac, m4a files without any user-intervention.
      ripit does the following with an Audio CD:
      - Get the audio CD Album/Artist/Tracks information from CDDB
      - Get the audio CD Album/Artist/Tracks information from Musicbrainz
      - Rip the audio CD Tracks (using cdparanoia or other cdrippers)
      - Encode the files (using lame, oggvorbis flac and/or faac)
      - ID3 tag them (v1 & v2)
      - Optional: creates a playlist (M3U) file (lists MP3s created,
      used by various MP3 players)
      - Optional: Prepares and sends a CDDB submission.
      - Optional: Saves the CDDB file.
      Homepage: http://www.suwald.com/ripit/news.php
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Hey thanks for the quick response.

Is there a way in K3b that I can set the default settings for ripping (such as directory, path, filename)?

Comment

yes........once you set the riping dialog to what you want.... down in the bottom left corner is a button to save as default settings

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            yes........once you set the riping dialog to what you want.... down in the bottom left corner is a button to save as default settings

VINNY
            Nice!! This may help tremendously!!

Comment

I use the Terminal program "mpg123". I just enter into the Terminal "ripit". That's it.It saves to my home directory and I move it to by "music" folder.

Look at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I usually just take advantage of the audiocd KIO-slave.

First, configure how you want it to behave in System Settings -> Multimedia -> Audio CDs (1st, 2nd & 3rd tabs for mp3 ripping, or 1st, 2nd & 4th for Ogg Vorbis).

Secondly, use Dolphin or Konqueror to navigate to the audio CD (which can be done by simply typing "audiocd://" in the address bar (without the quotes)), where you should see subfolders for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, etc. All you then need to do is drag and drop to whatever target location you desire, which will initiate the ripping & encoding process.
                sigpic
                "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

If you're looking for an easy to use CD ripper that only does one thing and does it well, you can't go wrong with Asunder.
                  After you install, the only thing you need to do is go to "preferences" and set the format you would like to encode with.

That's it. It's been working for me flawlessly for years.

Comment

What if, in two years, you decide you wished you had ripped at a higher bitrate, or grow weary of MP3's metallic ring and want to convert over to AAC? Re-ripping ain't fun.

Rip everything you have to FLAC, a lossless codec. You do this only one time. Build your entire collection that way. Then encode everything to today's favorite lossy codec using a bitrate that makes sense for the size of whatever device you carry around. Then next year, when you get a new gadget with three times the space, you can run one script to re-encode from the source FLACs overnight. And the year after that, when you want a completely different lossy format, you can get there easily with another overnight script.

Right now, all my FLACs live on a disk array in my downstairs coat closet data center. I really need to get those offsite and into some cloud...

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                      Rip everything you have to FLAC, a lossless codec.
                      Luckily, I had the foresight to do this years ago, using K3b!

Right now, all my FLACs live on a disk array in my downstairs coat closet data center.

​"Keep it between the ditches"
                      K*Digest Blog
                      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I began my project with WMA lossless. When I switched to FLAC, it was a cinch. That's another beauty of lossless codecs -- you can transfer among them without fear of losing any audio fidelity.

Comment

I began my project with WMA lossless. When I switched to FLAC, it was a cinch. That's another beauty of lossless codecs -- you can transfer among them without fear of losing any audio fidelity.
                          you just recoded them?

if yes what did you use ............ I like ffmpeg for recoding and usually use K3b for the riping!

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

No, I did all my ripping years ago, when I was still working for Microsoft -- thus the "natural" choice of using WMA lossless using Windows Media Player. I converted everything to FLAC last year using a script I found somewhere on the Hydrogen Audio forum. I let it run on my Windows Server, which at the time was the fastest computer in my house.

I haven't ripped a CD in over four years, because I buy all my music online now. Were I to purchase one, I'd have to research how to do rips to FLAC in Kubuntu.

Comment

K3b will rip to FLAC ................I was just cureus as to what you used for the recode to FLAC from WMA

VINNY
                              16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                              X