This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE displays Kate on all desktops

KDE has been doing something that is rather strange.

Not fatal, but mildly annoying.

Normally I keep Kate open on desktop 3 and leave it there when I shutdown.

Occasionally when I boot, KDE will place Kate on all 4 desktops and the Kate window is slightly misplaced from where I left it on shutdown. I then click on the upper left corner and the "All Desktops" option is checked and I check "Desktop 3" option, move the Kate window and all is well.

Has anybody else been experiencing anything like this??

Is there something in my setup that causes KDE to do this??

As I said it doesn't do this every time I boot, but just occasionally.

Re: KDE displays Kate on all desktops

If you encounter this sometimes, unless you have been tweaking desktop settings before it happened, then maybe it would be a good time to visit http://bugs.kde.org and report a bug ?

Comment

Originally posted by silviucc
      If you encounter this sometimes, unless you have been tweaking desktop settings before it happened, then maybe it would be a good time to visit http://bugs.kde.org and report a bug ?
      I tried doing just that. But it turns out that I don't frequent the kde.org site often enough to maintain my identity there. Tried to login and my password or id was not recognized. Tried the part about "forgetting my password" and got the email to follow the given link to establish a proper password. Then tried logging-in. No good. So it seems that unless the kde.org site is visited more often than I do, the id is not maintained.

I just do not feel it worthwhile to invent a new id and another password and then have to do that all over again in xxxxx months.

Seems to me that if KDE was serious about getting bug reports, then they should be able to invent a secure means of getting the bug reports without my having to keep inventing new ids and passwords that they don't maintain.

Comment

right click on the kate icon (of the window) under desktop uncheck "all desktops".

oh seams you do that already (damn skimming reading..)

if it presists then you may consider removing your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc file
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
          right click on the kate icon (of the window) under desktop uncheck "all desktops".

if it presists then you may consider removing your ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc file
          Just looked at that file - the rules for Kate are correct. I think I will check it the next time Kate comes up on all 4 desktops and see if it changed.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48

Okay it just happed again - KDE booted and opened Kate on all 4 desktops.

Opened the file ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrulesrc in Kate and here is the pertinent part for Kate:

[2]
            Description=Kate
            desktop=3
            desktoprule=4
            position=-2147483648,-2147483648
            positionrule=2
            types=4294967295
            wmclass=
            wmclasscomplete=false
            wmclassmatch=1

That looks fine to me and to my maybe naive guess, it appears that KDE should open Kate only on desktop 3 and NOT all 4 desktops.

Definitely a bug in KDE I would say. Too bad I cannot log in to report a bug.

Comment

Working...
            X