X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Windows and Panels either go completely black or transparent

Greetings everyone,

I wanted to tap the community for any pointers on this issue I am having with windows and panels.

I am currently running Kubuntu 11.10, which I have upgraded from 11.04 about 5 weeks ago. Before the upgrade, I had no problems to speak of; everything was running smoothly. Post-upgrade, I noticed that about after 10 minutes of use when I tried to open another browser window the bar at the top identifying the window would be visible, but the window itself would be blacked out. This happens no matter what browser I use (Seamonkey, Konqueror, Iron, Rekonq). Next, I would try to go into the applications menu, and at first the sub-menus would black out selectively. Then the panel itself would become transparent and I would not even be able to see the applications menu, or any of the other icons (making it difficult to navigate anywhere).

I have tried googling the issue and searching several forums (here, Ubuntu) with no luck and no one reporting anything like what I am experiencing (or they simply used completely different terms).

The specs in my signature have been upgraded to reflect my current software configuration. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)
    Kubuntu 12.04 (64-bit), Dual Boot w/Windows Vista
    KDE 4.8.4a, HP Pavilion dv9623gl, AMD Turion64 x2
    nVidia GeForce Go 7150M, 2 GB RAM

Re: Windows and Panels either go completely black or transparent

if you have not done so disable desktop effects and see if that changes your issue. if you can't open any windows you can use the shortcut ctrl+alt+F12 to suspend the effects.

-good luck.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Re: Windows and Panels either go completely black or transparent

Originally posted by sithlord48
      if you have not done so disable desktop effects and see if that changes your issue. if you can't open any windows you can use the shortcut ctrl+alt+F12 to suspend the effects.

-good luck.
      I think we may have been thinking the same thing at the same time. I actually disabled desktop effects and rebooted for good measure. The problem has since ceased and I can resume my Kubuntu bliss. Thanks, Sithlord48, much appreciated!

-DM
      (Regular) Linux User Since September 1, 2010 (First played around with Linux in 2004)

Comment

Re: [Solved] Windows and Panels either go completely black or transparent

Don't you want to find out which effect it is that is causing the trouble? That way you can still use the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMus
          Don't you want to find out which effect it is that is causing the trouble? That way you can still use the rest.
          im gonna guess that its the blur effect.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMus
            Sorry for the delay in responding. I've been running around and haven't had a chance to sit down with a little peace and quiet to carefully check each effect and see which effect it was. I'll probably have an answer for you in a few days. Christmas weekend = family coming to visit.

@Sithlord48 - It may very well be that one, but I'll check each one to make sure.

-DM

Comment

So it would seem that Sithlord48 was correct in his guess. After playing around with a few of the different settings for a few days, it was indeed the blur setting that caused the issue. I do very much appreciate the feedback and input, and continue to be thankful for the helpfulness of the Kubuntu Community.

-DM

Comment

sweet that was a good guess :P. happy its all working correctly for you. the one thing you didn't mention was your video card just wondering what one you have.

Comment

Blur, at least on my machines, tends to run KWin's CPU usage pretty high. When blur is enabled, KWin consumes between 8% and 14% CPU, according to top. Simply disabling that one effect reduces KWin's CPU consumption to between 1% and 4%.

* Thinkpad T420 with nVidia 3100M, running binary driver from nvidia-current
                  * Acer Aspire 1420P with Intel Mobile Series 4, running i915 driver from xorg-edgers

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    sweet that was a good guess :P. happy its all working correctly for you. the one thing you didn't mention was your video card just wondering what one you have.
                    nVidia GeForce Go 7150M

It's also in my siggy :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X