Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Users and Groups window won't go away...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Users and Groups window won't go away...

Hi,
    No matter what I do, I can't seem to close the window that comes up after selecting "Users and Groups". Please see attached. I tried restarting the system, power cycling etc. but the window always comes back. How do I close the window? I couldn't figure out which process it is or I would have killed it. Help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Users and Groups window won't go away...

It appears that you're using users-admin, which is part of the GNOME package gnome-system-tools. I'm not using 11.10 (I'm still on 11.04), but I've seen this behavior myself when I've tried using users-admin. Since you're a KDE user, you can (should?) use its own tool for this, System Settings | User Management, instead.

But to answer your question, when the Users and Groups window is running, you can either find its PID and/or PPID in the output of ps -eaf and then kill -9 it, or if you're not the command line type, press [alt][f2] and then click on the second icon on its left, Show System Activity. Then find and highlight users-admin and click End Process.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

You are right about "Users and Groups" being part of GNOME. That's probably the issue. I couldn't find the process in this ps -eaf, I think because it was "sleeping" ? I found it in the System Monitor GUI and was able to end the process. All good now. Thanks again!

Comment

You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out well for you.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
        X