This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What have I done?! Firefox problems - input needed

I was having problems with Adobe Flash 11 in Firefox (11.1.102.55) - that is video playback was starting to get really laggy and consume an abnormal amount of CPU time, and that's to put it mildly. I discovered that it wasn't using hardware acceleration. So I played around with the configurations a little bit manually, and couldn't get it going.

So, I decided to try out the Flash-Aid plug in.... What a (insert a not-so-nice word here) huge mistake that was. I should have stuck to messing around manually configuring it...

At any rate, Flash-Aid deinstalled my 64-bit stable flash player and installed the current beta (11.2.202.96). It then enabled HW acceleration. Well, all that did was result in a huge hard lock up - I couldn't even ssh into my machine to reboot it. I have tried using that plugin to remove the Flash player it installed, and then I reinstalled the stable one. Same thing occurs. I've searched all over the net, and found out that right now it's a bad idea to enable flash with nVidia cards. :/ Great. I can't find any way any how to disable acceleration in flash, at least, not in Firefox. I've gone over every single last file that Flash-Aid modified, and I just can't find what it mucked with to totally fry flash player. I even tried backing Flash Player up to one of 10 releases. So right now, I'm thinking I should fully purge my Firefox and start over from scratch.

That should be easy, except that when I try to purge my Firefox install, it wants to install Epiphany and half of Gnome instead of installing the much more appropriate Rekonq or Konqueror browsers. I'm so not sure what's up with that, so I held off for the moment to gether peoples thoughts on how I should proceed on fixing my Firefox.

For the time being, I got Chromium up and running, and Flash 11.1.102.55 works 100% perfectly on it. Acceleration is enabled on it, and I can confirm that I'm only seeing 20-30% CPU utilization with fluid 1080 HD video play back (Firefox I was getting 70-100% at 480P - YUCK!!!!!!!). However, I still much prefer Firefox - Chrome's equivalent plugin's (only have two - No Script and ABP) are so not my cup of tea. Not to mention that I also much prefer the look and feel of Firefox better.

Re: What have I done?! Firefox problems - input needed

Oh, and this is an x64 bit install (on an Intel Core 2 Duo notebook with 8GB RAM, and an nVidia 9600M GS with the most up to date drivers)

Comment

Hey there...

I have the same CPU and memory as you, although, I have an nvidia 260m video card.

Try enabling the partner repo and installing the adobe flash version from there... I have not had any issues at with the adobe version of flash.

I would keep firefox software installed, but remove/move your .mozilla directory in your home dir and then re launch firefox. It will create a new profile for you. You can restore your favorites from your old/renamed mozilla dir.

However, that said, I have been using Chrome without any issues at all. In fact, on my machine, Chrome is 100% faster than Firefox and uses less resources. But, I can appreciate your wanting to continue to use firefox.

Anyway, hope this helps some!

Joe

Comment

I had this problem a few weeks ago after using flash-aid. I'm having trouble remembering just what I did, but I remember that flash-aid installs the file mms.cfg in /etc/adobe. Try renaming it to something like mms.cfg.old and then rebooting to see if that helps.

Comment

LinuxRocks wrote:

partner repo

could you please expand on that please?

thanks

woodsmoke

Comment

Adding Canonical Partner Repositories
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X