This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clone a desktop

I want to clone a desktop from one pc to another.

I would like it to be a duplicate, meaning wallpaper image, icons, activities etc...
    I know I can copy the installation but user settings are not carried over. Can I just copy the users home folder ./ files to the second pc? Both setups share the same user name...

Any recommendations on a simpler method?

Thank you

Re: Clone a desktop

Originally posted by Bravo685
    I want to clone a desktop from one pc to another.

I would like it to be a duplicate, meaning wallpaper image, icons, activities etc...
    I know I can copy the installation but user settings are not carried over. Can I just copy the users home folder ./ files to the second pc? Both setups share the same user name...

Any recommendations on a simpler method?

Thank you
    I would say yes, all you would need is the users /home directory and all the users settings would be present.

However, you would want to ensure that all the same applications are installed as well or the icons will not work.

Joe

Comment

Re: Clone a desktop

remastersys can be used to make a complete iso of the system. I use it regularly when I have a distro "completely tweaked" the way I want it. As an example of something that would seem rather complicated to deal with I have a complete .iso of my tweaked #! it has the exact conky, the exact wallpapers all installed software, my passwords etc.(as an example).

It is not in the repos but you can get the deb from here:

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
      X