X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop effects not working

Hi all,

I've just installed Kubuntu 11.10, first time KDE user and relatively new to Linux, and I've been getting used to the interface.

I've come across a problem when I went into System Settings|Desktop Effects. I tried selecting Desktop Cube as the effect for desktop switching, and when I hit apply, I got the following notification:

KWin Window Manager
    The following desktop effects could not be activated:
    Blur
    Cover Switch
    Desktop Cube
    Desktop Cube Animation
    Screenshot
    Startup Feedback

I've done some searching, but haven't come up with a solution to this. If it helps, I'm running a Nvidia Quadro 600, and running "glxgears -info" gives the follwing:

GL_RENDERER = Software Rasterizer
    GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.11
    GL_VENDOR = Mesa Project

I'm wondering if the fact that it's not using hardware has something to do with it. I've installed Mesa as I needed it for some simulation software that I'm currently installing, as well as it provides glxgears. I used the commands:

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev
    sudo apt-get install mesa-utils

Also, under System Settings|Desktop Effects|Advanced, Compositing type is set to OpenGL, and the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf does not exist on my system.

One other thing, that's probably unrelated...

When I first installed Kubuntu, I'd get a screen with some graphical garbage on it after selecting my boot entry in the GRUB menu, and before the Kubuntu login prompt appeared. Previously I'd been running Ubuntu and didn't get this at all. After some Googling, the solution was to edit my /boot/grub/grub.cfg file so that gfxpayload was set to 1920x1080 (my monitors native resolution) as opposed to a $variable. Now it shows a flashing cursor prompt in the upper left hand corner for a few seconds before the login prompt appears. Don't know if this is the right solution, or there's some deeper problem.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Desktop effects not working

Hi, JasperC, and Welcome to Kubuntu and the forums

You probably need to install the drivers for your graphics card; this is an easy process.

First, go to your K menu and then to System. Find the Additional Drivers icon and click on it. Locate the [Recommended] driver for your card and install.

After the installation is complete, simply reboot and KDE will automagically enable all your desktop effects.

Hope this helps!

Joe

Comment

here's your fix. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric...w-manager-gles or https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric...w-manager-gles. had same problem, this fixed it.

even better, open package manager, look for kde window manager gles, mark for install and apply.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperC
        I've done some searching, but haven't come up with a solution to this. If it helps, I'm running a Nvidia Quadro 600, and running "glxgears -info" gives the follwing:

GL_RENDERER = Software Rasterizer
        GL_VERSION = 2.1 Mesa 7.11
        GL_VENDOR = Mesa Project

I'm wondering if the fact that it's not using hardware has something to do with it. I've installed Mesa as I needed it for some simulation software that I'm currently installing, as well as it provides glxgears. I used the commands:
        Your card isn't/partially* is supported with free (nouveau) drivers. If you want full, hardware acceleration , install proprietary NVIDIA drivers

Also , if you plan to install nvidia drivers, don't install kde-window-manager-gles - it doesn't work with closed drivers

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=35890
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LinuxRocks

You probably need to install the drivers for your graphics card; this is an easy process.

First, go to your K menu and then to System. Find the Additional Drivers icon and click on it. Locate the [Recommended] driver for your card and install.

After the installation is complete, simply reboot and KDE will automagically enable all your desktop effects.

Hope this helps!

Joe
          Yes! That did the trick. Thanks for the help.

There were two options there:

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates)(version current-updates)
          NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]

I chose the first one. So far no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JasperC
            Originally posted by LinuxRocks

Hope this helps!

Joe
            Yes! That did the trick. Thanks for the help.

There were two options there:

NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (post-release updates)(version current-updates)
            NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version current) [Recommended]

I chose the first one. So far no problems at all.

Very cool!

I used the Recommended updates, but the other one should be ok too. If you run into any trouble with updating those, you can always go back into the program you used to install them (Jocky) and remove and re-install the other one.

Glad you got it working, and enjoy Kubuntu!

Joe

Comment

Actually, what is the difference between the two? I didn't find much via Google, just that someone else had chosen the "post-release updates" option and was happy with it...

Also, installing the divers seems to also have fixed my problem with the corrupt boot splash screen (might not be the same problem others were having). I (hopefully!) undid all the changes I made to grub and don't see a problem anymore. It does take a bit longer to boot to the desktop now though, but nothing major.

Comment

Working...
              X