This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.7.4

Are there plans to provide it for 11.10?

Re: KDE 4.7.4

it should, considering how much it fixes acrap ton of kmail2 maladies , but I have not heard either way.

Comment

From debian-kde mailing list:

Code:
      4.7.2 won't be uploaded to sid. 
      4.7.3 won't be uploaded at all. 
      4.7.4 will be uploaded to qt-kde.debian.net soon.

Comment

who cares about debian ? Often they use our stuff as a basis, share and share alike. I don't think we are waiting for Debian packages for this.

But from one of our wiki pages, it does look like 4.7.4 is coming to a ppa near you, eventually. Just like these usually come

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          a crap ton
          How many short tons in a crap ton?

4.8 will be killer for me, if indeed the Google Summer of Code project on HTML mail makes it into the release. Honestly, it's the only reason I still use Thunderbird. I suspect once I can ditch that, I'll probably ditch FF too and use Rekonq, thus finally approaching all-KDE bliss (*).

(*) LibreOffice being, of course, the remaining hold-out. How many folks here would agree that all the work going into KOffice would be better spent if the developers teamed up with LibreOffice? Does the world really need two free office suites? Combine and conquer, I say.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
            (*) LibreOffice being, of course, the remaining hold-out. How many folks here would agree that all the work going into KOffice would be better spent if the developers teamed up with LibreOffice? Does the world really need two free office suites? Combine and conquer, I say.
            You mean the same way that we don't really need more than one free operating systems, linux distributions, desktop environments, browsers or text editors?

1. It's unlikely (seeing that both openoffice.org and koffice have recently been forked) that all developers could agree with a common direction to take a single office suite...and yes, openoffice.org/libreoffice and koffice/calligra aren't the only available free office suites.

2. Healthy competition is one of the major driving forces in open source development, development tends to stale with "monopolies", even in the open source world.

3. As a personal opinion, I'm not sure any amount of work will ever salvage libreoffice (it's workable, but not really a pleasure to use, especially on older hardware or things like smart phones).

Feel free to disagree, of course

Comment

Plans are like...

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Ninjas/Packaging:
              KDE 4.7.4

Oneiric

The plan:
              • Package original source bz2
              • Bump kde-sc-dev-latest version in Build-Depends
              • Build it locally, check for build-dependencies, new files to install, .symbol file changes etc
              • Upload to kubuntu-ninjas with -0ubuntu0.1~ppa1
              • test
              • Copy to kubuntu-ppa/ppa on release day
              Earlier:

Do you have an idea of the Kubuntu defaults...

RFC: Switch to Firefox and a 1.5 GB image / https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...r/005719.html:
              ...Personally, I'd like to drop OpenOffice in order to put Firefox in the
              CD. Since a browser is much more useful than office software (you can
              use google docs in browser). Koffice can sit there instead of OO.

But your mind may vary.

Earlier - Topic: The default Kubuntu browser / http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119594.0
              Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
              - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
                You mean the same way that we don't really need more than one free operating systems, linux distributions, desktop environments, browsers or text editors?

1. It's unlikely (seeing that both openoffice.org and koffice have recently been forked) that all developers could agree with a common direction to take a single office suite...and yes, openoffice.org/libreoffice and koffice/calligra aren't the only available free office suites.

2. Healthy competition is one of the major driving forces in open source development, development tends to stale with "monopolies", even in the open source world.

3. As a personal opinion, I'm not sure any amount of work will ever salvage libreoffice (it's workable, but not really a pleasure to use, especially on older hardware or things like smart phones).

Feel free to disagree, of course
                Kate and Gedit aren't engaged in a struggle to win hearts and minds over Notepad, so the comparison isn't exactly the same

I suppose what's really in contention in the office suite battles is more about file formats and less about the software tools. In the years that KOffice/Calligra and OpenOffice/LibreOffice labor to produce endless "developer releases" and unpolished betas, Microsoft continues its lock on file formats.

My choice to use KDE on Linux and some else's choice to use GNOME on BSD really doesn't matter in the long term. But file formats definitely do: how much important information is locked away in, say, Ami Pro documents or Paradox databases? My suspicion is that many observers see four open source office suites and leap to the assumption of four incompatible file format collections. We know this isn't really true, but even within the open source suites, there's a certain amount of variability of ODF support: for instance, a .odg drawing I created last month in LibreOffice draw won't open in Karbon14:

Google didn't offer much help finding an answer to that one.

Comment

Soon: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/12/11...ntu-devel.html
                  ScottK Started uploading 4.7.4 to the staging PPA. 06:21
                  ->

Kubuntu Package Staging (DON'T USE)
                  PPA description

For the love of the blue gears, DO NOT USE.
                  This is where we build and stage the packages for final PPA releases, so this PPA will never have usable packages.
                  -->

Publishing details

* Published 3 hours ago

Changelog

kde4libs (4:4.7.4-0ubuntu0.1~ppa1) oneiric; urgency=low
                  Have you tried ?

Comment

Hey,

For a couple of days people have been trying to fix a year-old nasty/elusive bug that determined polkit crashes on shutdown/reboot.

More about the bug:

http://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=258916

The fixes are now here:
                    https://projects.kde.org/projects/kd...ac784fb3e79210

Since the 4.7.4 debs are not released yet, maybe the packagers could pull those fixes in too ?

Comment

Wishes/bugs

The readers of the Kubuntu Forums are 99,99 % "ordinary" users. Wishes:

kubuntu-devel IRC log: http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/12/12...untu-devel.txt
                      [01:33] <ScottK> The rest of 4.7.4 is going into staging now.

--- EDIT ---

... and it seems (?) that the 4.7.4 is the final of the KDE 4.7: http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-release-...7285913484&w=2
                      Are we in agreement that KDE SC 4.7.4 will be the end of the 4.7 series?

Let's decide soon, because we don't want people spending their time
                      backporting into the 4.7 branch if there will be no more 4.7 releases.
                      But with the Kubuntu the KDE 4.7.4 could get revisions to the PPA repositories and it could be moved to the Ubuntu updates (Kubuntu PPA -> Ubuntu proposed -> Ubuntu updates).
                      Have you tried ?

Comment

Alright, thanks. Will try to contact the kubuntu devs over IRC

Comment

What is wrong with LibreOffice? I use it on a daily basis and it works great. Not one problem sofar.

Comment

Originally posted by DeMus
                            What is wrong with LibreOffice? I use it on a daily basis and it works great. Not one problem sofar.
                            Like I said, just a personal opinion. If it works well for you, that's great
                            (It works for me, too...but not a pleasure to use)

My main gripe with it is that it's rather big, monolithic and slow, and that's one of those things that is hard to fix (not a big problem with a modern computer, I'll admit). The UI is also a bit cumbersome.

Comment

The Kubuntu developers have been "talking" the default Kubuntu packages:

http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/12/12...ntu-devel.html
                              http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2011/12/13...ntu-devel.html
                              Have you tried ?

Comment

Working...
                              X