This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing application

I just installed Kubuntu 11.10 on Asus EeePC 1015PE.. and it's worked. Whaww.. it's nice look
    Is there anyone that know how to install more applications...
    Usually I use GUI menu like Software Manager only

Re: Installing application

Hi and welcome to KFN.

You have Muon Software Center and Apper to install packages and aplications. K-menu > System > Muon or search in K-menu for "Muon".

the CLI way is

sudo apt-get install package-name
    hth

Jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

So glad you like Kubuntu 11.10. I also have an ASUS but it is somewhat older than yours, it is an F3jr. You might find the site http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...-kubuntu-11.10 as a useful guide to what can be installed. I do not install all that is listed and I install Google Earth in a different way to how it is done at this site.

I also add the medibuntu repository using the procedures outlined in https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu. This site also has a guide on how to install the extra software available from medibuntu.

If you have any problems there are lots of willing helpers on KFN.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
        Hi and welcome to KFN.

You have Muon Software Center and Apper to install packages and aplications. K-menu > System > Muon or search in K-menu for "Muon".

the CLI way is

sudo apt-get install package-name
        hth

Jonas
        Yeah.. I've found it
        Thx a lot bro..

Now I wanna try http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfec...-kubuntu-11.10 8)

Comment

Originally posted by firmanr
          I just installed Kubuntu 11.10 on Asus EeePC 1015PE.. and it's worked. Whaww.. it's nice look
          Is there anyone that know how to install more applications...
          Usually I use GUI menu like Software Manager only
          May be not what you are looking for, but it always surprises me when people don't know about the recommended way to install applciations by command line (CLI): aptitude
          sudo aptitude install <application name>

But, Kubuntu comes with Muon, and I have been told that USC installs and runs fine (haven't tried on Kubuntu).

Comment

Aptitude is not the preferred way to install software, apt-get does a better job with the dependencies.

When using Muon please realise the Software Center looks good but is seriously handicapped, the Package Manager will give more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
              apt-get does a better job with the dependencies.
              There's actually a fair amount of debate over this point: enter "aptitude vs apt-get" into Google. apt-get's autoremove leaves some config files lying around, which you can remove with an additional step:

sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections |grep deinstall`

A lot of folks seem to prefer Aptitude's ability to completely purge orphaned dependencies and their configuration files.

One other thing I recently learned about Aptitude's curses-based interface...when it encounters dependency problems, it will sometimes list multiple possible resolutions: you can use the . and , keys to view the various suggestions. For no other reason that increasing my own familiarity with the tool, I'm going to start running Aptitude and apt-get side-by-side for a while and make note of any differences over time.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
                apt-get's autoremove leaves some config files lying around, which you can remove with an additional step:

sudo dpkg --purge `dpkg --get-selections |grep deinstall`
                If you want autoremove to purge packages, you could turn on Apt::Get::Purge in apt configuration (this should purge by default).

EDIT: apt-get --purge autoremove should work as well (if it doesn't, I'd qualify that as a bug).

Comment

I'm going to start running Aptitude and apt-get side-by-side for a while and make note of any differences over time.
                  CAUTION!

Because aptitude builds and relies on its dependency "database", it needs to be used consistently. If you use apt-get to install or remove something, you'll be "end-running" aptitude and it might get confused and decide you don't need something that you really do need to keep. All the advice I've ever read, including this says you don't want to switch hit between apt-get and aptitude.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    I'm going to start running Aptitude and apt-get side-by-side for a while and make note of any differences over time.
                    CAUTION!

Because aptitude builds and relies on its dependency "database", it needs to be used consistently.
                    I understand this is basically the main argument why aptitude is not recommended over apt-get anymore (apt-get and it's GUI front-ends like synaptic and muon use the same "bookkeeping" while aptitude uses it's own records)

Comment

Yep... the intention for my little experiment is simply to track the differences between what apt-get and Aptitude want to do when it's time to perform an upgrade or install something. I suspect I'll continue to use apt-get to perform the actual work.

Originally posted by dibl
                      Because aptitude builds and relies on its dependency "database", it needs to be used consistently. If you use apt-get to install or remove something, you'll be "end-running" aptitude and it might get confused and decide you don't need something that you really do need to keep. All the advice I've ever read, including this says you don't want to switch hit between apt-get and aptitude.
                      Curiously, this article, mentioned in the comments in the article dibl referred to, boldly states that mixing apt-get and Aptitude is perfectly safe now.

Comment

Curiously, this article, mentioned in the comments in the article dibl referred to, boldly states that mixing apt-get and Aptitude is perfectly safe now.
                        Ahhhh --- I see that! Hmmmm, why don't you run the experiment and tell us how it works out for you.

Comment

I haven't used aptitude in years, so things might have gotten better as far as interoperability is concerned.

There still are differences between them, so I would hesitate to call it "perfectly safe", but I'd suspect the sky is not going to fall if you use both.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de...titude_literal

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/de..._state_for_apt

Comment

I've already found one thing I like about Aptitude's interactive mode: its dependency resolver. Say you're installing a package with several dependencies, and some of those dependencies have further recommendations. Aptitude will walk you through all the various allowed combinations, even permitting you to bypass some of the recommendations while allowing others. Pretty neat.

Comment

It is possible that someone absolutely new to Linux might not know the actual "name" of an application and would then find it somewhat unproductive to use apt-get/aptitude where-in one has to type in the.. um ...name.

woodnonamecitysmoke

[img width=400 height=319]http://www.simsajoyeros.com.ar/fotos3/18206%20-%20Paint%20your%20Wagon.jpg[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X