This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE application windows problem, desktop unusable

I am running the latest everything on Linux 3.0.0-12. Gnome desktop seems to be fine, but KDE is totally unusable. The problem seems to be with the apps. windowing. Any application I load is rendered to the upper left corner of the screen, and cannot be moved (I can't drag it). Dialog boxes such as password do not accept text entry, but the mouse click seems to be accepted. When I first upgraded to Ocelot I didn't notice these problems. When I booted this morning (O.S. Linux 3.0.0-3) the above symptom appeared. Upgrading (booting into gnome and using apt-get on the command line) to -12 didn't help. Any ideas?

Re: KDE application windows problem, desktop unusable

any chance you installed compiz?
    woodsmoke

Comment

If I did, it wasn't intentional.

Comment

Originally posted by plm99
        If I did, it wasn't intentional.
        Yep, I found it. I removed compiz and all is well.

Comment

It's the thing about "rotating the cube" and all that.

It "used to be" that one had to install several attendant applications like "Beryl" and some other items.

If one did not do that then the windows did not have the "margins" so that one could drag them around and they snapped to the top left and the only thing one could do, they DID work, to manipulate the window itself was to close through the file system.

So the next question is, is there a "normal margin" on them? If not then it might be something jiggy happened with Compiz because the whole "beryl" thing went away a few iterations ago.

If that is not it, then you are beyond my limited help, it is just that the description reminded me of the beryl situation.

And, probably, someone more knowlegable than I will pop by in a while and solve the problem for you.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks. Yes, the cube graphic thing used to work. There were no margins in the broken environment. Based on your description I think I figured out what happened. I went down to one desktop, it must have been last time I was using KDE. I'll bet if I add a second desktop, re-install compiz, it will be happy again. I guess I found a bug. I'll try it, post the result.

[update] SO compiz is not in my system and the cube effect between screens works. It looks like I did have two screens after all. I don't think I've done a fresh install since Ubuntu 7 or so. compiz might have been a remnant of an older version?

Comment

Booted up just now, the problem is back, same as before. It's seems strange that scrollbars work, I can resize the window from the lower right corner, but I can't move the window. The app (whichever one I open) covers the upper left screen, so I can't open another one. This is really a problem!

Comment

Working...
              X