This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox runs the cpu's at full bore

I have Conky installed and I can monitor cpu activity. I have an older AMD 3000 X2 cpu. When I run Firefox both cpu's start running full tilt. When I close Firefox they slow down again. If I use another browser like Opera there is no problem. So how do I fix this?

Re: Firefox runs the cpu's at full bore

Do you have any extensions or plug-ins installed and if so what happens when you remove them?
    Because it would be rather odd when Firefox causes this all by itself.

Comment

Well it turns out you have a point. There are other applications that do the same thing like Acrobat and Gimp. So it's not just Firefox. But not all applications cause this. So for example LibreOffice writer doesn't cause a problem. How do I figure out what's going on?

Comment

What also happens with each of these programs like Firefox and Gimp is that in addition to the running program xorg is also running like crazy. So for example Firefox would take 47% of cpu time and xorg another 47 %. I hope this helps.

Comment

This sounds like a video problem.

Do you have the proprietary video drivers installed?

Have you tried with the 3D/desktop effects disabled?

Comment

I uninstalled and re-installed the Nividia drivers. I have a gtx 560 card. I don't run with desktop effects enabled. I still have the same problem.

Comment

Working...
            X