This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Another kmail2 question

I used an old version of kmail. The stored emails and inbox were in ~/Mail. So far I've also had no luck migrating or moving manually.

To do a install from scratch, after I back up my "Mail" folder, do I delete all of the old kmail folders and associated configuration files and then do a new install?

Re: Another kmail2 question

Hi
    I would have blithely answered your question as: thus and so, until a few days ago.

If you enter "Kmail2" into the search box you will see multiple threads on the situation.

I, personally, have NEVER had a problem doing anyting with Kmail or Kmail2, and this is "importing" or "migrating" both gmai and my former ISPs mail. It was always imported/migrated whatever you want to call it with no problems.

But, given the threads and especially a thread this last few days, I really don't want to hazard an answer.

here is a 'salient' thread which you might consider and then come back with some more information about what it is you are trying to do, IN DETAIL, and your previous/present installs so that someone more expert than I can address your question.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3118508.0

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi lcharles

there is a page about migrating to kmail2

https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcel...Kubuntu/Kmail2

What I can say is that if your setup is a bit complicated, automatic migration will fail.

Suggestion:
      1. Be sure ALL your mails are in ~/Mail. They might be also in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail. Then backup the whole folders

2. check that nothing important is in .local/share/local-mail/ and .local/share/.local-mail.directory
      (this is where kmail2 will store email by default)
      and remove these.

3. backup ~/.kde/share/config/kmailrc and remove it (warning: this will remove your filters)
      remove also ~/.kde/share/config/kmail2rc and ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail2

4. start kmail, create your remote accounts (POP, IMAP)

5. import your local folders: if you have only mailboxes in maildir format you can try the kmail wizard "import kmail maildir structure"
      If you also have mailboxes in the mbox format, it is wiser to import folder by folder.
      Warning: subfolders are "hidden": you should examine your backup dir using "show hidden files" in dolphin, or in a terminal: "ls -a"

6. if you had filters you need to create them again.

Comment

OK, I tried the procedure outlined by sanette. After I re-install Kmail and run it I get the following error message:

Kmail encountered a fatal error. The error was: YOu do not have read/write permission to your inbox folder.

When I click on ok, Kmail shuts down.

Comment

I just tried changing all of the permissions in my home folder so that user and group were both the same. That didn't work.

Comment

did you check the permissions of your $HOME/.local/share/local-mail ?

Comment

Originally posted by sanette
              did you check the permissions of your $HOME/.local/share/local-mail ?
              Agree'd... If you simply chown name:name * in the current directory, it will not grab the hidden directories... However, if you go up a level into /home and do that to your username, it will:

For example.

chown name:name /home/name/ -R <-- don't forget the -R (Hyphen uppercase Ar ) to recursively change permissions...

Hope this helps!

Joe

Comment

I don't have a Home/.local/share/local-mail directory. Should I create one? Also the permissions in /.local are just like any of the folders that are not hidden. So every folder is user and group the same and it is that way for all of the sub directories. Should group permissions be set to something else besides "forbidden"?

Comment

Working...
                X