I'm a newbee here.
    Try to enable the root account. I have done the:
    "firak@Linux-lab:~$ sudo passwd root
    [sudo] password for firak:
    Enter new UNIX-passord:
    Retype new UNIX-passord:
    passwd: password updated successfully
    firak@Linux-lab:~$"

I have logged out of the "firak" account and tried to log in as root with the updated root pw. No success.
    Restarted the computer and tried to log in as root again, no success.

Where do I go wrong??
    Firak

Re: root account

As default, with the Kubuntu, the root's graphical login is disabled. The /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc has: "AllowRootLogin=false"

More (enabling root password, enabling graphical root login, etc):
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3089088.0
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

You may not be able to login to the root account as it is deliberately disabled for safety reasons but you can still use it from a terminal window. If you type su and then the password you have given the root account you can then operate as root. I find this more convenient than using sudo.

Comment

Originally posted by phil1349
        You may not be able to login to the root account as it is deliberately disabled for safety reasons but you can still use it from a terminal window. If you type su and then the password you have given the root account you can then operate as root. I find this more convenient than using sudo.
        Alternately, you can use sudo -i and it will enter you into a Root interactive shell - its just like su -, but you don't have to change/enter a root password.

Hope this helps!
        Joe

Comment

here is the fix;
          http://platonic.techfiz.info/2008/12...s-for-kubuntu/

you might have to change the /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc to /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc if you are running kde 4.
          you might also have to install gksu (sudo apt-get install gksu) AND gedit (sudo apt-get install gedit) to edit the etc file, at least i did, because you cannot edit the file without root privileges and i couldn't figure out another way to gain root access the the /etc file.

Comment

I suggest you install rootactivities in Dolphin's Services settings.
            It'll give you a quick right-click option to root (activities).

And why in the world would you install gnome utilities like gedit when the corresponding KDE ones (kate) are already on your system

Comment

Working...
            X