This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED]Synergy auto start?

I am new to Kubuntu 11.10. I ran Linux mint 10 kde for a few months last year, but now I'm trying to go full time with Kubuntu on my laptop and desktop. I came across Synergy while researching some file sharing options. My question is:

How do I go about making synergy auto start on my laptop and desktop? They are both running Kubuntu 11.10.

I came across a few threads here and there which walk through gnome auto starts and one with kde3, but none were specific enough for my tastes.

I am pretty new to linux and command line interaction, but I am getting better. So any tips or suggestions should error on the side of simplicity.

I tried adding quicksynergy to my Startup and Shutdown options from the system settings, and it launches at startup, but I have to click on 'execute' when the quicksynergy app launches.

I'm looking for something I can add to my startup that will completely automate this process for me if that's possible.

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Re: Synergy auto start?

you will have to discover what the full command would be to accomplish what you want, or find an option in the program itself that will make it run when launching.

not sure if this is relevant
    http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/autostart.html
    but this probably is:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynergyHowto

Comment

I as reading the ubuntu article on it when I posted here. It seemed like the most relevant help I could find, but I was just leery about it being for kde3.

Also I need a bit of clerification when it comes to phrases like "add the following to the end of /etc/kde3/kdm/Xsetup:"

My /etc/kde4/kdm/Xsetup looks like:

/sbin/initctl -q emit login-session-start DISPLAY_MANAGER=kdm

so to add something to this do I literally add right to the end of this or hit return and add a new line of code??

Like I said, I'm just a little leery when it comes to modifying boot commands and startup files, as they seem to be the biggest pains to correct if something goes wrong.

Comment

I assume synergy needs once properly configured only a single startup command.
        Adding it to ~/.kde/Autostart is one way.

Or get into System Settings, type autostart in the search box and follow the lead to add a program.

Comment

its best if you write a simple script to start synergy if your using the client then the script can be really short and simple
          [code=example start synergyc script]
          #!/bin/bash
          synergyc <ip or host name>[/code]
          save the script as start_synergyc.sh and then chmod +x the file or right click in dolphin and add "is executable". after that you can add it as a script in start up/shutdown in system settings.

its just as ez for the server only you need to set up a config file first, and instead run synergys. config files are either ~/.synergy.conf or /etc/synergy.conf see the unix/mac os section of this user guide

hope that helps
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Thanks Sith, I finally got it up and working. Its a beautiful thing

Comment

Working...
            X