This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

krename fails on "Segmentation fault"

For some time now I have been frustrated by krename not working. I use it extensively to rename files from my digital camera. I am currently on holidays and have a truckload of pictures that I would dearly love to rename, ie get rid of P101..

From what I can tell, the next release of KDE 4.7.3 will not fix krename. A bug report has already been submitted, ie https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...me/+bug/847369.
    There is an rpm file which is supposed to fix this problem but with alien it fails to install.
    Code:
    :~/Documents$ sudo alien -i krename-4.0.7-2.fc16.i686.rpm 
    warning: krename-4.0.7-2.fc16.i686.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a82ba4b7: NOKEY
    warning: krename-4.0.7-2.fc16.i686.rpm: Header V3 RSA/SHA256 Signature, key ID a82ba4b7: NOKEY
    Warning: Skipping conversion of scripts in package krename: postinst postrm
    Warning: Use the --scripts parameter to include the scripts.
    krename-4.0.7-2.fc16.i686.rpm is for architecture i386 ; the package cannot be built on this system
    Has anyone been able to get krename to work or does anyone know how to go about installing the rpm file and overcome the above errors?

Re: krename fails on "Segmentation fault"

I've had this working for a while now.

The bug report you quote has been marked as a duplicate, #849882 is the report to refer to.

Comment #10 gives a link to a converted file - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...0.7-2_i386.deb. Did you download that or just try converting the RPM yourself?

It worked for me and for others it seems.

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.

I tried converting it to a deb file but all options I have tried fail because I have a 64B system. When I tried to install the deb file you referenced, it refused to do it as shown in the graphic.
      Attached Files

Comment

i had to rename abunch of stuff , since krename was not working i used 'gprename' as an alternative untill a fixed package is availble to us.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
          I have a 64B system.
          Sorry NoWorries, I missed that vital piece of information.

krename is not part of the KDE Software Collection so I never expected a bug-fixed version to be released with KDE 4.7.3. What annoys me is that krename is one of a number of applications that failed to work when Kubuntu 11.10 was released and it still doesn't if you rely on files that are available from the official repositories.

If it doesn't run why is it even available for download?

Comment

seams to be cross distro problem with krename the problem is more then likely a upstream issue. however i dont' know how you make a package and not test it when you have finished it.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

you may want to look at gwenrename I haven't used it .........but sense you referenced renaming stuff from your camera .

I will check it out hear in a min and see how it works with some Flipvid files.

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

scratch that ....it seams that Gwenview already has batch renaming in it .

I just used it to rename 24 .png's which it did before I could blink .

or is this not what you were looking for?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

1 more O ya .........that ability in Gwenview is dependent on having the "kipi-plugins" installed

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    i had to rename abunch of stuff , since krename was not working i used 'gprename' as an alternative untill a fixed package is availble to us.
                    Many thanks for pointing me to gprename . I have just finished renaming my files. I find it very similar to krename in its operation. I am very pleased with it.

I did try gwenrename but could not get it to do what I wanted after many attempts. When I selected a group of photos with Gwenview it did not give the rename option.

Thanks once again for all the help. Tomorrow I am off to a wilderness area so I will be out of contact. Keep up the good work!!!

Comment

I encountered the same problem with KRename. I found that Digikam has a real slick rename capability for photo files. It includes a simple progressive numbering system for a group of photos.
                      An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Comment

Working...
                      X