This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Earth

I am not sure when it happened as there have been a number of updates recently but Google Earth no longer works, has anybody else had this problem?

I got this output from the crash log /root/.googleearth/crashlogs/crashlog-4ea9de6f.txt.

Major Version 6
    Minor Version 1
    Build Number 0000
    Build Date Oct 17 2011
    Build Time 04:05:20
    OS Type 3
    OS Major Version 3
    OS Minor Version 0
    OS Build Version 0
    OS Patch Version 0
    Crash Signal 11
    Crash Time 1319755375
    Up Time 1.23875

Stacktrace from glibc:
    ./libgoogleearth_free.so(+0xbcd53)[0xb77d1d53]
    ./libgoogleearth_free.so(+0xbced3)[0xb77d1ed3]
    [0xb783f400]

Re: Google Earth

No, I have not had any problems and it still works for me. I am probably not having any trouble because I installed the package google-earth-stable_current_amd64.deb which I downloaded from the site: http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html. Because of this approach, google earth does not show as an installed package in either muon or synaptic.

Comment

I went to that site and reinstalled Google Earth but still no joy.

Comment

Can I ask everybody who has Google Earth installed to try it and see if it still works?

Comment

Before installing Google Earth, I assume you removed the package listed by either muon or synaptic. When I have trouble with Google Earth, I rename the .googleearth directory in my home directory and then restart Google Earth. When Google Earth crashes, it often leaves a instance-running-lock file. Removing this may be and alternative approach to try.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries
            Before installing Google Earth, I assume you removed the package listed by either muon or synaptic. When I have trouble with Google Earth, I rename the .googleearth directory in my home directory and then restart Google Earth. When Google Earth crashes, it often leaves a instance-running-lock file. Removing this may be and alternative approach to try.
            I tried that, still no joy.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01

Can I ask everybody who has Google Earth installed to try it and see if it still works?
              Hi there, I just downloaded it from the link that NoWorries posted and it worked fine here... 64bit version

Joe

Comment

Sorry to hear that it is still not working. The only other option that I can think of at the moment, is that Google Earth requires 3D desktop. On my system I have System Settings>Desktop Effects>General with "Enable desktop effects at startup" enabled. I was not expecting updates to alter this, but if this is the case, I am sure that I and others would be interested to know.

Comment

I am using the 32 bit version which was working perfectly until a few days ago and yes, I have effects enabled.

Comment

Sorry to hear that it is still not working. The only other option that I can think of at the moment, is that Google Earth requires 3D desktop. On my system I have System Settings>Desktop Effects>General with "Enable desktop effects at startup" enabled. I was not expecting updates to alter this, but if this is the case, I am sure that I and others would be interested to know.
                    Have you updated recently and do you have proposed updates enabled? I think it has something to do with Xlib as I get this error when I run it from terminal.

Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0".

Comment

I do daily updates and the settings I have are in the first graphic. When I use Synaptic with Xlib in the quick filter I get what is shown in the second graphic.

Another possibility is that you may not have the correct video drivers. Have you tried System>Additional Drivers to see if there are drivers to be installed for your video card?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looks much the same as my setup apart from you being 64 bit.

Comment

My Google Earth is working as it should. No issues at all.
                          Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

It's surprising to me that so few people seem to use Google Earth.

Comment

Heh!
                              Just found out Google Earth is no longer working for me...

I uninstalled it, downloaded the latest version and reinstalled, still no joy...

Comment

Working...
                              X