This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Kontact crashes in configure

As soon as I click on configure Kontact, the cursor wobbles a second or two and then Kontact crashes.

I had this problem a year and a half ago. Don't know how it resolved.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111456.0

Suggestions?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Kontact crashes in configure

No replies.

How about this, then? How can I reinstall kontact --

- without losing my calendar and contacts
    - and withOUT enabling either kmail or akregator?
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Hi
      Just off the top of my head, and ya gotta remember that my head is kinda pointy and most folks say it is empty....

"Keeping stuff" to have after a "reinstall" is about the same as "migrating" your stuff to a new install of the whole OS.

Soooo this may or may not help but..

Here is a linky from KDE on how to do that for particular components, but after that the comment is to just "save the whole home directory".

http://userbase.kde.org/Kontact#Migr...o_a_new_distro

woodsmoke

Comment

I finally backed up my contacts and calendar, erased the kontact files in .kde/share/apps and conifg, and removed kontact and reinstalled it.

That resolved the issue. I can now configure kontact and have disabled mail and feeds.

A question, tho. When kontact came up, it automatically found my contacts and calendar. So apparently they are not in any of the files I erased. So where are they?

Thanks for your input.

Comment

Could you provide for the folks who are much more knowledgeable than me, the versions that you are using?

There seems to be various bugs for various versions: this FAQ was updated Sept 2011 so it may be in front of your version or behind your version.

http://userbase.kde.org/KMail/FAQs_Hints_and_Tips

I am not an expert and I'm sure someone who is can help more.

woodsmoke

Comment

Thanks for the link, woodsmoke. Very useful. I see that the addressbook is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/ and the calendar data in ~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer. Since I did not erase either, they were there again after kontact re-installation.

I am running kontact 4.7.2 under kde 4.7.2.

I am marking this problem resolved (and noting in my linux notes...).

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X