This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sound breaks again

After the upgrade from 11.04 I found that there was no sound. Some googling around helped and this line went at the end of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf:
    options snd-hda-intel model=generic

reboot, and voila: sound works. But there's some hissing noise coming from the speakers, due to Mic set at 100% in alsamixer. I don't have a mic. I can mute the mic volume and the noise will go away, but Kubuntu won't remember the setting, so I have to do it manually every day. I tried "alsactl store", it wrote current settings into /var/lib/alsa/asound.state but it didn't help. The Microphone is again at 100% every day

Please help.

Re: Sound breaks again

You can try instructing KMix not to restore volume settings on restart. See Volume increases after restart (solved)
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, but it didn't help. Front mic, Line, CD, Mic volumes are all set to 56 on startup. PCM & Front are at 100 as they should be. As is always the case in Kubuntu, some other, perhaps unrelated upgrade, has the regression coming from 11.04. Perhaps there's a settings file I'm unaware of?

Comment

Hey, I just fixed the bug by commenting out the loading of modules in pulseaudio having -restore in their names:

/etc/pulse/default.pa
        #load-module module-device-restore
        #load-module module-stream-restore
        #load-module module-card-restore
        #load-module module-default-device-restore

/etc/pulse/system.pa
        #load-module module-stream-restore
        #load-module module-device-restore
        #load-module module-default-device-restore

I didn't have enough incentive to find out which file and/or module was enough to inhibit the loading of, so I just wiped them all out. I also checked back the restoration of volume levels in Kmix. Sound works fine now, and all gauges in alsamixer are exactly how I left them.

Comment

There are real problems in my opinion. i have lost the optical output on my sound card and I just can't get it running.

Comment

there is a post in Harware section http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3118758.0
            i have the same problem... it hasnt been solved for me yet, but anyways the information there might help you solve the problem...
            Cheers, -Linda

Comment

I've solved my problem. just ran alsamixer in console, expanded the control panel and used right arrow to move to the spdif output and toggled it on with "M".

thanks for that. I knew it would be something simple......me.

Comment

Originally posted by rihad
                Hey, I just fixed the bug by commenting out the loading of modules in pulseaudio having -restore in their names:
                [snipped]
                Nope, wasn't so easy. A mere warm machine reboot left the volume settings as they were; it took a cold restart overnight to bring the Mic volume back into action. This makes me think that these are default hardware settings that Kubuntu didn't even touch (with *-restore modules turned off).

As noted by a poster above I tried (M)uting the Mic volume instead of setting it at 0. I'll see tomorrow if that helps. For now, I've re-enabled all of the *-restore modules in /etc/pulse/*

Comment

Yup, after above, the Mic came up muted this morning. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Good for you guys that could figure it out...
                    I'm still struglling and no one has any suggestions for me!!
                    Cheers, -Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X