This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11.10 - Firefox Slow

just upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10. ever since, firefox has been running incredibly slow. as far as i can tell, it's the only program that's running slow; i'm on chrome now and it's fine. tried going to about:config and toggling the ipv6 or whatever, but it's still slow. i'd rather not reinstall firefox and all the extensions, so i'm hoping someone here as a different solution

Re: 11.10 - Firefox Slow

How many add-ons do you have? These all take time to load.

Another idea: try renaming the .mozilla folder (yes, it begins with a dot) in your home directory to something else. Then start Firefox and let it create a new profile.

Comment

I have the same problem after upgrading to oneric from natty.

On my quadcore machine 1 cpu is running 100% percent for the firefox process. The same is true for thunderbird, which suggests some problem in the underlying framework those two applications share.

I haven't tried the suggestion with a new .mozilla profile though.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley
        How many add-ons do you have? These all take time to load.

Another idea: try renaming the .mozilla folder (yes, it begins with a dot) in your home directory to something else. Then start Firefox and let it create a new profile.
        only about 6 add-ons. i thought i had more for some reason. guess reinstalling wouldn't be that big of a pain.

and i tried the folder trick. i think it actually made it slower. if it's any help, it seems to be slowest on facebook and when loading animated .gifs

Comment

How much RAM is in your PC? Firefox is kind of a memory pig. I'm running version 8, from the beta channel; it uses about 130 meg. If your PC is low on RAM, that could be the culprit.

Also, search Google for "firefox slow ubuntu" -- looked like there were some interesting workarounds, at least for prior editions of Ubuntu. Perhaps one of those might work for you.

Comment

I did some further investigations on my setup and found out that not only firefox is showing this problems but all gtk based programs.

Further investigation showed that the gtk theme 'oxygen-molecule' was the culprit. Once I changed to oxygen-gtk everything was back to normal ( cpu load wise )

I did not have these problems with natty where I used this theme. Seems like this theme is broken in oneric.

Comment

Thanks for the info mlubich. I was having trouble with slow speed, more noticeable when zooming in satellite mode on google map and using BBC iplayer. Having changed from oxygen-molecule everything is back to normal.

Comment

Working...
              X