This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kmail related problems

A few posts concerning kmail problems appeared in pre-release testing board. I think it would be useful to continue this discussion here.
    There is some information here: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/OneiricOcel...Kubuntu/Kmail2. They are partly useful. I managed to import "something" from old kmail using suggestions mentioned here but I cannot run kmail at all, as described here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4939#msg274939. Could someone provide some help?

Re: kmail related problems

Probably this bug:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=259355

There are a few suggestions to work around the issue in the comments (you may need to install akonadiconsole), but I can't confirm that they work as kmail2 works normally on my end.

Comment

Don't use kmail but was trying to turn off the Mail Dispatcher Agent and couldn't get kmail to run.

Reading the bug report in the previous mail I clicked on the AkonadiTray, went to configure and looked at local folders. There wasn't an entry there so put in .kde/share/apps/kmail2. That let me start up kmail.

Also seems to have turned off the Mail Dispatcher Agent.

Andrew

Comment

Thanks kubicle. This helped. After I reset local folders in akonadiconsole it began to work. Mail dispatcher agent got quiet now as well.
        Indeed, not to much work. Why then doesn't it work after having installed new kubuntu release?

Comment

because kdepim(kmail, etc) has a broken migrator, and not many people help testing upgrades to spot some of these issues. We did find a LOT more bugs and annoyances, but the fixes available in the 4.7.2 version were ported back to kubuntu's 4.7.1 just before release. It was kinda too late to go back by then.

Comment

this has been a very interesting thread.

woodsmoke

Comment

If you check out your system tray, they have added an akonadi tray icon, which may be in the hidden section. You can use this to stop/start akonadi, as well as go to where you can configure the resources (accounts) You may have to install the akonadi console tool, which you can stop/start and play with individual resources.

My theory, though I have been unable to reproduce this, is that this can happen when someone has been testing the older original kmail2/akonadi configs from 4.6 in the experimental repo, but that is only one area as not everyone has done so.

Comment

I understand there may be "LOT" of bugs and annoyances in the software which is produced by a community such like this. I can't say I dislike it. But there should not be the bugs that make software impossible to run. Are you (programmers) in too much rush when going to release a new version of the system? Maybe new releases go to the world to often?...

Concerning your theory, claydoh, I have two installations of kubuntu and none of users made any "tests" with the software you mentioned. I have to cope with the problem on the second computer which has not migrated mail yet. I suppose setting the proper value for the folder we mentioned above will allow the migration to go well.

Comment

I agree with liquid's comments on this bug. Sending and receiving e-mails are the most basic functions of an e-mail client. How could you release a KMail version that won't send e-mail without tinkering?! It's like releasing a car that won't start unless you take it to a mechanic first.

Comment

You do assume that all the kubuntu team are coders, most of the very small team are not C++ programmers, it is a lot of packaging and patching to fit it to debian/ubuntu, add any fixes available, etc. And as I mentioned somewhere, no one tests upgrades and reports issues, outside of a very few. From-scratch setups seem to work fine, and a lot of people seem to use the web for email. We didn't discover the issues until very late in the game, and it was actually very very worse just a few days before. KDE released it.

Now I am NOT trying to deflect blame here, but it is what it is. Data is not lost, only filters and a few other settings are not kept. Kmail2 is NOT broken (well, bruised perhaps) , it is the migration to the new system that is crap. It fails to do the migration before anything is done.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                      If you check out your system tray, they have added an akonadi tray icon, which may be in the hidden section.
                      To stop this thing from running, I had to remove akonaditray.desktop out of the /usr/share/autostart directory. I created a directory called /usr/share/autostart.dont in which to keep the file, just in case some day KMail2 becomes useful for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X