X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Workable Solution]Tool Tips 'black on black' in LibreOffice

KDE 4.7.1
    LibreOffice 3.4.3

The Tool Tips (mouse over on Menu bar icons) show up as black on black, which is of course, useless. This issue only occurs within LibreOffice. Anyone else seeing, or have seen, this? What's the fix?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Tool Tips 'black on black' in LibreOffice

My tooltips show up black on light blue. It could be your color scheme. I've notice that some of KDE's dark color schemes don't always play nicely with certain applications.

Comment

I am getting dark blue on dark gray with the oxyzone theme
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Snowhog, do a search on tool tips here in the forum. I detailed how I fixed it about 2-3 weeks ago. The fix worked for me and the person who had the same issue.
        Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

Found it. Thank you. Changing the background to Blue worked. No matter what color I change the text to however, the actual Tool Tip text remains Black, but at least Black text on a Blue background is readable.

Comment

Re: [Workable Solution]Tool Tips 'black on black' in LibreOffice

I have the "black on black" libreoffice problem. Can't find the solution on the search of tooltips. Please list the fix here.
            Custom amd x4 o/c 3800<br />8gb ram, radeon 5850<br />kde 4.7&nbsp; kernel 3 <br />Virtualbox winxp<br /><br />Dell precision m6300<br />4gb ram Quadro m1600<br />intell 2core 2k<br />kde4.7 kernel 3.0

Comment

Originally posted by losingle
              I have the "black on black" libreoffice problem. Can't find the solution on the search of tooltips. Please list the fix here.
              go to ....system settings>application appearance>colors>colors......and set tool tip background to what ever you like .

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Tks, Been messin with Libreoffice for days wud never found it.
                Custom amd x4 o/c 3800<br />8gb ram, radeon 5850<br />kde 4.7&nbsp; kernel 3 <br />Virtualbox winxp<br /><br />Dell precision m6300<br />4gb ram Quadro m1600<br />intell 2core 2k<br />kde4.7 kernel 3.0

Comment

FWIW: This is the one thread on which I lingered before upgrading to 11.10, then...no problem with MY LO install's tooltips. Odd...and fortunate, I'd say. I appreciate having this info., anyway, 'cause this has been a fierce problem for me in another app. - Digikam. So, I'm off to see if it's cropped up there. At least I now have the fix for it, I hope.

----

UPDATE: Yup. Digikam had a problem, and this tip fixed it instantly. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd
                    no problem with MY LO install's tooltips. Odd...and fortunate, I'd say.
                    So, in LO, on your 11.10, the Tool Tips appear 'normal' -- you can read them correctly?? What is the background color and text color you see? What Desktop Theme are you using? What Color Theme are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                      Originally posted by tomcloyd
                      no problem with MY LO install's tooltips. Odd...and fortunate, I'd say.
                      So, in LO, on your 11.10, the Tool Tips appear 'normal' -- you can read them correctly?? What is the background color and text color you see? What Desktop Theme are you using? What Color Theme are you using?
                      Just changed Theme and Scheme, and had to adjust it.

LO Tool Tips: black on white.
                      Digikam Tooltips: black on dark grey/brown (unusable)
                      Desktop Theme: Black Oxygen
                      Color Scheme: Default

I changed color scheme to Zion.
                      Digikam now black on white.
                      LO is the same.
                      All's well.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you.

I 'solved' the issue here by changing my Color Scheme to Oxygen Cold. Tooltip background is a light blue, and Tool Tip text is black. This is usable in LO. Still, any change to Tooltip text has no effect in LO. Hmm.

Comment

Yeah - while I can't say for sure, my impression after a few twiddles, is that LO tool tips are not so easy to alter as I found those in Digikam to be. But...all's well that ends well!

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                            Originally posted by losingle
                            go to ....system settings>application appearance>colors>colors......and set tool tip background to what ever you like .

VINNY
                            Thanks!!!! This fixed it for me too!

Shane
                            John 3:16 - For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              ... Still, any change to Tooltip text has no effect in LO. Hmm.
                              I have been suffering from this problem. Tooltips in all applications but LO are fine*. I want LO to display white(ish) text on black (I don't want to change my entire system just on account of LO), but as noted the Application Appearance > Colors > Colors > Tooltip Text setting seems to be ignored by LO. - Whereas the Tooltip Background setting is respected by LO.

(And I can't see any relevant options in LibreOffice's Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Appearance.)

Is this a bug LibreOffice, do you think? And where would be the right place to report such a bug?

Joe

* for completeness - the only apps with slight differences are Firefox and Thunderbird - their tooltips are fully opaque and rectangular whereas other apps are slightly translucent (as set in Desktop Effects) and have rounded corners. But I can live with this!

eta: Kubuntu 11.10, KDE 4.7.3, LibreOffice 3.4.4
                              Desktop theme: Air; Window decorations: Oxygen; Widget style: Oxygen; colours mostly default
                              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
                              X