This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] DragonPlayer - no sound

I can listen YouYube videos in Chrome, Konqueror and FireFox, movie clips with VLC, and the system sounds, for example when I log on and off.

Update: Amarok does not report any issues, but when you play a song, the progress bar moves but there is no sound.

Any ideas?

Solution: go to the KDE control panel (press on the big K icon on the bottom left of the screen, select "Computer" and then pick the first item labelled "System Preferences") and double click on the Multimedia icon in the hardware section. Select "Phonon" on the left icon bar. Select the top node in the tree that appears on the right-don't know exactly how is translated in English but should be something like "Audio Playing"- and select the first in the list of preferred devices. Press the "Test" button on the bottom right of the dialog. If you hear the startup sound, that's right, press "Apply" and test your sound apps again. If you don't hear anything, move the device down to the bottom of the list.

Repeat until you find one device in the list that works. In my case, the first item in the list was the digital output. Since I have my small PC speakers connected to the analog output, my logic is that the sound was being played via the digital output.

What is strange is that even with the digital output selected, there were other apps that managed to output audio on the analog plug, including KDE own system sounds.... but now Dragon and Amarok play fine, as well as VLC and Flash player. Maybe there is something I don't understand about all this Phonon system.

Re: DragonPlayer - no sound

Sorry, but what is the question
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

He has sound "every where" but in Dragon Player.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, sorry, the question/problem was in the title.

Comment

Working...
        X