This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE WIdgets Can't Access Internet

I just installed Kubuntu 11.10, and none of my KDE widgets can access the Internet. Searching for weather locations fails, RSS feeds can't load, etc. However, network connectivity in general works fine. Any ideas?

Re: KDE WIdgets Can't Access Internet

Hi
    Could you come back with more info on what you "did" to get the widgets to carry out their functions?

The weather one, especially, can be troublesome since it is Eurocentric. For the U.S. one merely enters a zip code which is NOT intuitive, and also, I have sometimes, I don't know why, had to restart the computer to get it to run.

woodsmoke

Comment

I'll check out the weather widget and see if that's why I'm having the problem, though I did try searching my zip code, my city, my city, state and country, etc.

None of the RSS feed widgets worked. I could see the feed in browsers, but they would not load in any widget.

Comment

Hi
        I'm sorry that you are still having problems. Could you be more specific about your RSS feeds?

I have RSSNOW running, one just goes to your website's RSS feed page, such as CBS news and drags the URL symbol in the url box into it and, for me it runs immediately.

Ktorrent needs to have an actual torrent running before one can configure it. I don't use it though.

I downloaded all of the applicable plasma widgets. extras, etc. from the repos and have four weather widgets, I just picked the first one and dragged it to the desktop, it requires picking a "weather provider", like Accuweather U.S. and then picking a NEW preferred location, lower requestor box, I typed in the zip code and it works.

so, if you could please come back with some more specifics about what you need and I'm sure that someone will help.

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi
          again, if you could provide some specifics I am sure that someone who is more knowledgeable about these things than I will pop along and help you.
          woodsmoke

Comment

Quicklaunch just came to mind, it is a normal widget, place it on the desktop, right click on it and navigate to Akregator and add the feeds of your choice.

Akregator puts an icon in the panel also that provides the number of unread feeds.

woodsmoke

Comment

I had the same issue upon first reboot and login. My widgets couldn't hit the internet. Whether it was to download comic listings or weather. But I had some updates to run from the base install, so I rebooted again and now the widgets are seeing the internet. That was weird.

For my case the fix was rebooting.

Comment

Working...
              X