Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

different desktop for netbook than virtualbox?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different desktop for netbook than virtualbox?

I installed 11.10 on in a virtualbox and it looks like what I would expect.

I installed it onto my netbook (HP Compaq 110c 1001nr) and I got a desktop that looks a lot like the 10.04 netbook screen on the wiki page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ku...04_netbook.png). But, there was no K Menu icon (I originally did not know what that was, I am new to Kubuntu) and I could not find a way to launch a terminal session. I found that I could modify the bottom and add icons, so I added the K-Menu button, but it felt like something was wrong (missing other things, as well). I could finally get to other programs from the K-Menu button I added, but it felt quite different from a virtualbox install...

Does the install detect system configs and give a different desktop layout for netbooks compared to full-sized systems or virtualbox hosts? If so, why?

Re: different desktop for netbook than virtualbox?

Originally posted by crodgers
    ...Does the install detect system configs and give a different desktop layout for netbooks compared to full-sized systems or virtualbox hosts? If so, why?
    Yes - it's a "feature". I turn it off immediately after install

You can set Kubuntu to use desktop settings in System Settings --> Workspace Behavior --> Workspace. Just change the "Workspace Type" from netbook to desktop.
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

Re: different desktop for netbook than virtualbox?

I agree, I tried the netbook interface for a few weeks and then went back to the regular.
      Especially with the panel auto hiding it works fine on this limited screen real estate.

Comment

Working...
      X