X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop corruption

Hi,
    I'm experiencing a desktop problem, not quite line another topic here reports. I have desktop effects on, and randomly the desktop just gets all scrambled.
    The only solution is to logout and login again - desktop is fine and works for hours (sometimes only minutes...).
    I have a ATI Radeon HD 4890 and I'm using proprietary drivers (if I disable it, the screen flickers).
    Already tried to disable desktop functionality checks and that seemed to solve the problem, but alas...

I'm posting a screenshot of the whole desktop and a close-up of vlc (no windows decoration, shows thunderbird window below and if I take the mouse to the application window, it tries to redraw part of the window but it get all scrambled).

Anyone have seen something like this ?

Thx,
    Attached Files

Re: Desktop corruption

Maybe kwin config file got corrupted. Remove ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc and then alt+f2 and enter command kwin --replace. Doing this kwin (desktop effects) will be back to its defaults.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Ok done that.
      However, the last command never finished (let it be for a minute or more), so I've tried to logout and from console remove the file and then, after startx, run kwin --replace.
      When I logout I got a crash report.
      After the startx I ran kwin --replace and the command never stops.
      Only 1 difference...this time I got some output:
      Code:
      $ kwin --replace
      OpenGL vendor string:          ATI Technologies Inc.
      OpenGL renderer string:         ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series      
      OpenGL version string:         2.1 (3.3.11005 Compatibility Profile Context)
      Driver:                 Catalyst
      Driver version:             2.1
      GPU class:               R700                                         
      OpenGL version:             2.1                                          
      X server version:            1.10.4
      Linux kernel version:          3.0
      Direct rendering:            no
      Requires strict binding:        yes
      GLSL shaders:              no
      Texture NPOT support:          yes
      kwin(8572): Shaders are not supported 
      If I cancel the command...windows decoration are gone. In fact...all desktop stops working.
      Anyway I'm going to try for a while to check if it works.

Comment

Run kwin --replace from krunner (alt+f2). If you run it from konsole then kwin --replace& and then you should be able to stop command (ctrl+c).

Or just delete kwinrc and then reboot system:
        Code:
        rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
        sudo reboot
        Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Note that you have to do this only once. When kwin is reseted to its defaults you can go to SystemSettings>Desktop effects and tweak effects to your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle
            Or just delete kwinrc and then reboot system:
            Code:
            rm ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
            sudo reboot
            Done that.
            I don't have any tweaks on the desktop effects...just the "plain vanilla".
            I did had a decoration (glowglass-cupertino) but now I have Oxygen and the error still happens.

My guess now is this is a KDE bug.
            Is there a log directory to look for plasma desktop log ?
            I've been looking at /var/log but there is no obvious clue to what happens (especially as the log entries don't have a timestamp).

The only weird thing that I've found at Xorg.0.log and kdm.log was this:
            Code:
            Warning: LookupWindow()/SecurityLookupWindow() are deprecated. Please convert your driver/module to use dixLookupWindow()
            (only got my attention as it mentions a driver working with windows)

Comment

Working...
            X